Storm damage compensation

UK Power Networks says it expects to pay out over a million pounds in compensation for electricity supplies disrupted by the storm last Monday

Live updates

Over £1 million for those who suffered power cuts

More than 1 million pounds in compensation will be paid out to customers in the East, who suffered power cuts after last Monday's storms. UK power Networks said it's doubling the usual amount paid to people, who are without power for longer than 48 hours, as a gesture of goodwill.

The company has written around 20 thousand letters to customers in this region, who may be entitled to a share of the money. Victoria Lampard reports

Storm damage compensation payments outlined

Compensation after electricity supplies cut off by storm

The company in charge of the electricity network say they're writing to all its customers who qualify for compensation after being cut off in last Monday's storms. Around 500,000 people lost their electricity supply in the East of England because of the storm.

UK Power Networks says customers are entitled to a payment under a storm event if they were without power for 48 continuous hours.

'The statutory payment is £27 but as a gesture of goodwill because we understand the difficulties experienced by people last week, we have agreed to double this to £54,' said a company spokesman.**

**

'They are entitled to a further payment for each 12-hour period thereafter and this again will be doubled by us to £54. This is capped at £432. All customers who qualify should receive a letter from us to explain this at the early part of this week.'

It's estimated compensation payments will total over a million pounds.

Advertisement

Questions asked over power delay

All homes in Suffolk and Essex should have had their power restored by this evening - five days after the storm that swept the country.

But many of those who've been without electricity all week, are asking why it's taken so long to switch them back on.

Click below to watch a report from ITV News Anglia's Kate Prout

Essex council arranges extra food waste collections after storm

This picture, taken at Suffolk's Oulton Broad, shows the power of the storm. Credit: Claire Gooda

A council in Essex is arranging extra food waste collections on Sunday to help people whose freezers failed because of the power cuts.

Uttlesford District Council has taken the step after many households were left without electricity for much of the week.

Residents who wish to dispose of damaged food will need to take their waste to the refuse vehicles at the locations and times are detailed below:

Stebbing (The Downs, High Street) - 09:00-09:30

Great Dunmow (St Edmunds Lane) - 09:45-10:15

High Easter (Village Hall) - 10:30-11:00

Barnston (Watts Close Recreation Ground Car Park) - 11:15-11:45

Great Easton (Village Hall) - 12:00-12:30

Little Easton (Village Hall) - 12:45-13:15

Tilty (Church Car Park) - 13:30-14:00

Duton Hill (Nr The Three Horseshoes) - 14:15-14:45

Clavering (Village Hall) - 15:15-15:45

UK Power Networks release latest power figures

UK Power Networks say that there are still around 400 customers in Suffolk and Essex without power following Monday's St Jude storm:

  • 698,000 customers lost their electricity supply as a result of Storm St Jude.
  • 507,000 of these customers were in the East of England.
  • Currently 322 customers are still off in Suffolk and 85 in Essex.

Those without power: the latest

Repairs to electricity supply nearly complete

UK Power Network say there are still about 1,500 customers in Essex without power as a result of damage following the major storm on Monday. The figure is about 1,560 for Suffolk. All other counties in East Anglia are back to normal.

Advertisement

Thousands left without power for a third day

Thousands of properties across the region suffered a third day in a row without power today, as engineers worked to repair the damage caused by Monday's storm.

UK Power Networks said it is the worst clean up it has had to deal with in more than a decade, but many customers were left frustrated by the lack of information available.

Homes and businesses in Suffolk and Essex have been particularly badly hit.

14,000 properties in the East still without power

Repair work is continuing to restore power to thousands of homes in the region after Monday's storm damaged the network.

Latest figures show there are around 14,000 properties in the East still without power, with areas of Suffolk still offline and major problems in parts of Essex and Hertfordshire.

UK Power Networks engineers are aiming to have 98% of power supplies restored by the end of the day.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports