Govia has welcomed today’s announcement by the Department for Transport to award the Go-Ahead 65% / Keolis 35% joint venture the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise.
This is the largest rail franchise in the UK in terms of passenger numbers, trains, revenue, and staff.
The TSGN will serve London as well as a number of important regional centres,including Cambridge, Luton and Peterborough.
It also provides direct rail links to major airports as well as St Pancras International and Farringdon station for links to Heathrow and Crossrail in due course.
- New trains - introducing three new train fleets
- More services – 10,000 additional morning peak seats into London
- Increasing capacity – 50% more passenger capacity created
- Better connections – up to 24 trains per hour through the Thameslink core in peak periods
- Station enhancement – £50m investment in improving facilities
– David Brown, Group Chief Executive of The Go-Ahead Group
“Our bid for the franchise was focused on improving customers’ experience and includes two new train fleets for Gatwick Express and Moorgate services, in addition to overseeing the introduction of the Thameslink trains already ordered, as well as delivering improvements at stations.
“I’m looking forward to working with existing colleagues and welcoming new staff and together delivering this transformational franchise.”