- 141 updates
Police investigating the disappearance of Corrie McKeague are to resume their search of a landfill site on Monday, October 23.
A spokesman for Suffolk's Major Investigation Team said the extended search would last for four to six weeks.
It will concentrate on part of an area known as "cell 22", a 10,000 sq m cell of the landfill at Milton in Cambridgeshire which is next to the original site of the search.
The renewed search will cover 1,831 cubic metres.
Mr McKeague, who served with the RAF at Honington, disappeared in September 2016 following a night out in Bury St Edmunds.
Police fear he may have climbed into a bin in the Horseshoe area of the town which was later collected and the waste taken to Milton.
Police are to restart the search for missing airman Corrie McKeague at the Milton landfill site in Cambridgeshire.
Police say the decision to resume the search at the site for the missing airman has been taken after thorough consideration of all the issues involved.
They added that re-checking of the data available to the Major Investigation Team has concluded the area of the original 20-week search is still the location where there was the highest likelihood of finding Corrie.
The extended search, which is likely to take four to six weeks, will concentrate on an area next to the site of the earlier search. The indications are this is the next most likely area where Corrie could be.
Detective Superintendent Katie Elliott said:
On-site preparatory work for the resumption of the search will start this week. The full-scale search is likely to begin once this has been completed.
Police investigating the disappearance of RAF serviceman Corrie McKeague will be back in Bury Et Edmunds this weekend to mark a year since he went missing.
Officers will be manning a pod in the town centre over Friday 22 September- Sunday 24 September with the hope someone may come forward with new information.
The 23-year-old was last seen alive on a night out in the town.
Staff will be in the town centre where Brentgovel Street meets Risbygate Street (opposite ‘The Grapes’ pub) at the following times...
- Friday 22nd September: 9pm - 4am
- Saturday 23rd September: 9am-5pm
- Sunday 24th September: From midday
The father of missing airman Corrie McKeague says he does not believe his son's remains will be found in an incinerator in Suffolk.
Police revealed yesterday they are examining waste - including bone fragments - found at the plant in Great Blakenham.
But Martin McKeague has told ITV News Anglia he thinks the best hope of finding Corrie is to keep searching a landfill site at Milton in Cambridgeshire and that he doesn't believe the fragments are anything to do with Corrie.
Specialist officers sifted through 650 tonnes of ash at the Great Blakenham plant over the weekend. Last night police issued a statement saying they had: "Recovered some material that requires further examination in order to establish whether it is in any way connected to Corrie McKeague… It will be subject to specialist examination and forensic analysis."
Corrie went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds in September last year. Police believe he fell asleep in a bin and was carried away in a bin lorry.
This led them to the landfill site in Milton in Cambridgeshire which officers spent 20 weeks searching. Costs reached 1.2million pounds. The search was stopped two weeks ago.
Latest ITV News reports
Police investigating the disappearance of RAF gunner Corrie McKeague have "explored all reasonable lines of inquiry", a review has found.
The mother of missing RAF gunner Corrie McKeague is in the Suffolk town of Bury St Edmunds to retrace her son's last known steps