Traveller disorder in Cromer

Police were called the Norfolk resort of Cromer in August after reports of disturbances in the town.

Live updates

Review criticises Norfolk Police over Cromer disorder

A review has criticised Norfolk Police's response to disorder caused by a group of travellers in the north Norfolk town of Cromer in August.

Police in Cromer in August Credit: ITV Anglia

It says police didn't realise the effect the travellers were having on the local community, not enough resources were sent to deal with problems and statements made by the force on social media were ill judged.

The Chief Constable has admitted the response was wrong and is pledging to learn from the force's mistakes.

Credit: ITV ANGLIA

A number of recommendations have been made following the review, falling into four categories:

  • The flow of information and intelligence within the Constabulary
  • Leadership decisions
  • Media response
  • Protocols for dealing with unauthorised encampments

The review suggests that had the Constabulary been in a position to understand the collective impact of the group's behaviour on the community and understood the tension it was causing, it would have recognised the need to identify a specific response and apply appropriate command structures, officers and tactics.

It also said the force misread the significance of events and provided an ill-judged statement on social media referring to the disorder as 'low level'.

"As I have said before, we got this wrong and I feel terribly sorry that the people of Cromer feel let down by our response. Moving forward, it is important that as an organisation we take any learning opportunities, put measures in place and make sure this doesn't happen again.

I have met with local councillors, business leaders and victims affected by the events of that August weekend, to explain the learning identified. We will continue to work with them to build and regain the communities' confidence."

– Chief Constable Simon Bailey, Norfolk Police

Advertisement

Norfolk police to carry out review into Cromer disorder

Watch a report by Malcolm Robertson:

Norfolk Police has announced it'll carry out an internal review of the way it dealt with problems at Cromer last weekend - following a visit by the Chief Constable to the seaside town.

There were reports of trouble and businesses shut early on one of the busiest weekends of the year as tensions rose following the arrival of travellers at the resort.

Many people have been critical of the way police dealt with the problems, but Simon Bailey says he has listened to concerns raised by the community and lessons will be learnt.

People in Cromer are feeling very angry, let down and fearful of the same holiday period this time next year.

This is why it is so important that I want to give a reassuring message to those visiting Cromer and the residents that there will be additional resources in Cromer this weekend.

I will be working very closely with partners that the lawlessness we saw won't happen again.

I need to look at the totality of the response and through the review, know what happened. I need to ensure this doesn't happen again and rebuild the confidence of the community as soon as possible.

– Simon Bailey, Chief Constable, Norfolk Police

Advertisement

Police 'exploring possibility' that rape in seaside town could be linked to weekend of disorder

The town was said to be put in 'lockdown' at the weekend. Credit: ITV Anglia.

A man has been arrested after a woman in her late teens was reportedly raped by two men in Cromer.

The incident happened on Friday night at about 11:30pm at a bus stop on Cadogan Road.

Police say they are ‘exploring the possibility’ that the rape is linked to the disorder in the town at the weekend.

The seaside town was said to be on ‘lockdown’ after a series of disturbances.

The man who is in his 30s, was arrested by Essex Police earlier this morning (Monday 21 August).

Council says travellers have left town after notice was served

Extra police have been on duty over the weekend in Cromer Credit: ITV Anglia

A group of travellers have left Cromer after a weekend of minor disturbances.

The district council said the group left the site on the Runton Road car park at 3pm on Sunday afternoon (August 20) after being served an eviction notice on Saturday.

“We worked closely with the police to reassure the community, businesses and visitors to our seaside resorts. At the request of the District Council, the Police significantly increased their presence over the weekend which was very much appreciated and a good indication of our partnership working in this issue.

“North Norfolk provides temporary stopping places for travellers and the Council will always act swiftly where there are illegal encampments. If it had of been necessary we would have been in Magistrates Court first thing on Monday to seek their support to move them on.”

– Cllr Tom FitzPatrick, Leader of North Norfolk District Council

The council leader said he and his officers had been out in the town reassuring businesses and they wanted to make sure Cromer stayed a family friendly resort.

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports