Monkeys killed at Bedfordshire safari park

The fire broke out in the Patas monkey house in the early hours of 2 January, a park spokesman said, but none of the animals could be saved.

Live updates

Woburn Safari Park fire started 'accidentally in generator'

All 13 Patas monkeys died at Woburn Safari Park Credit: ITV News Anglia

A fire at a zoo in Bedfordshire which killed 13 monkeys was accidental, the fire service has confirmed.

The fire broke out in the Jungle Enclosure of Woburn Safari Park around 2.37am overnight.

When firefighters arrived, the roof of the building had already collapsed.

The fire was in the monkey house where they are kept at night during the winter months.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Following our fire investigation at Woburn Safari Park we have concluded that it is likely that the fire started accidentally in a generator."

Advertisement

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports