Live updates

Bedford is the most generous town

Aerial view of Bedford
Aerial view of Bedford

Bedford has been revealed as the most generous town in the country. The donation site JustGiving said more than 40 thousand people with a Bedford post code gave money to a charity appeal over the last year, raising more than a million pounds. Cambridge was in second place.

Bedford: Police appeal for help after man is attacked with metal bars and baseballs bats

Police in Bedford say they need the public's help after a 19-year-old man was attacked with metal bars and baseballs bats.

They say nothing was stolen during the assault and detectives are now trying to establish why he was targetted.

Click below to watch a report from ITV News Anglia's Olivia Paterson

Advertisement

Bedford: Teenager knocked unconscious following brutal baseball bat attack

A 19-year-old man's been attacked in Bedford by a group of men carrying iron bars and baseball bats.

The incident happened between 11pm and 11.30pm on Tuesday August 5 as the victim was making his way home along Brecon Way.

The teenager was knocked unconscious.

"The level of violence was extremely high. He was left with nasty injuries, as I said he's suffered cuts and bruising to his head and face and was knocked unconscious.

He was taken to hospital, kept in overnight, X-rayed, and thankfully there were no serious injuries which is very surprising given the level of violence that was actually used during the assault".

– Simon Hutchinson, Bedfordshire Police

Divers search for woman who went missing more than 18 months ago in Bedford

Sonica Hans was last seen on Boxing Day in 2012.
Sonica Hans was last seen on Boxing Day in 2012. Credit: Bedfordshire Police

Police diving teams have spent the morning searching a river in Bedford - more than 18 months after a 35-year-old woman went missing.

Sonica Hans was last seen on Boxing Day in 2012 and someone matching her description was captured on CCTV near the Swan Hotel on The Embankment at about 2:00pm in the afternoon.

She has not been in contact with her family and friends since.

Advertisement

Two woman bitten during Bedford dog attack

Two women have been bitten by a Staffordshire bull terrier during a dog attack in Bedford.

The incident happened on Tuesday July 29 at around 7.15pm in St Andrews Road. The two friends were walking their dogs together when a woman walking a black Staffordshire bull terrier approached them from the opposite direction.

The Staffordshire bull terrier started pulling at the lead and the woman let go. The dog then ran along St Andrews Road and attacked the victim’s Labrador.

The two women tried to free the dog but the Staffordshire bull terrier then bit both of them. Two men heard the noise from the street and were able to free the Labrador by kicking the other dog before the owner of the Staffordshire bullterrier left the area.

Police are keen to speak to anyone who may have information about the offender who is described as being a white woman with blond hair who was wearing black leggings and a floral dress or long top.

If you have information relating to this incident, contact PC Sugden, in confidence, on the non-emergency101 number, or text information to 07786 200011.

Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers,anonymously, on 0800 555 111,or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.

26-year-old man kidnapped and assaulted in Bedford

Police in Bedford are appealing for information after a 26-year-old man was kidnapped and assaulted on Wednesday.

The incident happened between 5.30pm and 6pm when four men knocked at the victim’s front door in Eastville Road.

He went out to speak with the men and walked around the corner when he was pushed from behind and forced into a silver VW car.

The men assaulted him and demanded he contact his family to arrange for cash to be handed over before driving to Renhold where they pulled him from the car.

The victim managed to escape and flag down a motorist who called for help.

The first offender is described as a man with an Asian appearance, 35 years old, 6’2” tall, wearing a polo top and had a French crop style haircut.

The second offender is also described as a man with an Asian appearance, 5’9” tall, approximately 19 years old, wearing a Nike tracksuit.

The third and fourth offenders are both described as black men.

DC Surinder Ram, investigating, would like to urge anyone who witnessed the incident or anyone who can help trace the silver VW car used by the offenders to come forward and contact the police.

“We have charged a man in connection with this offence but this is still an on-going investigation and as the incident happened in daylight hours people who were making their way home from work could still hold vital information about those involved which could help this investigation.

“It is also possible that other pedestrians or road users may have noticed the silver VW car parked close to Eastville Road or parked in the Renhold area. I would urge these people to come forward as they may be able to help us trace this vehicle.”

– DC Surinder Ram, Bedfordshire Police

16-month prison sentence for benefits cheat from Bedford who claimed nearly £140,000

A man from Bedford has started a 16-month jail sentence after being convicted of stealing almost £140,000 in benefits over 14 years.

Alas Miah, of Brereton Road and formerly of The Avenue, Bedford, was sentenced at Luton Crown Court on Thursday, 31 July after admitting seven offences relating to benefit fraud spanning 14 years from 1998 to 2012.

In total, he had claimed £137,572 in Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Jobseeker’s Allowance that he was not entitled to.

Miah must serve at least half the sentence in prison and the rest on licence in the community. If he reoffends he will serve the full sentence. He will also have to repay all the money he stole from taxpayers.

“This was a deliberate fraud committed over a long period of time which cost taxpayers a huge sum. Mr Miah was respected in his local community but through his own greed must now serve time in prison as a criminal and may well find his assets confiscated by the court.

“Once again, a vigilant member of the public has helped our investigators to stop a serious fraud and this case shows that no matter how long it takes, eventually the fraudsters will be caught and can expect to find themselves in prison.”

– Councillor Shan Hunt, Executive Member for Revenue and Benefits
Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories