Live updates

Police renew witness appeal over Luton shooting

Police forensics teams at the scene of the shooting in Dallow Road, Luton. Credit: ITV News Anglia

Police have renewed an appeal for witnesses and information into a shooting in Luton last week.

The incident took place last Tuesday at around 1am in Dallow Road when a fight broke out at a party and shots were fired.

A man was found to have suffered a gunshot wound. He was treated at hospital for serious injuries which were not life-threatening.

“As a result of the incident we understand people will feel unsettled and so would reassure them that we believe the shooting to be an isolated incident contained within a party or gathering which was taking place at the time, and do not perceive there to be any wider risk to the public."

– Sergeant Mark Pugh

Advertisement

Man shot in Luton in 'large-scale disturbance'

A man was shot and wounded in a 'large-scale disurbance' in Luton on Monday night. Credit: Google Street View

Police say a man was shot and wounded during what officers described as a "large-scale disturbance" in Luton in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

It happened in Dallow Road in the town at 1.30 am.

Police found one man had suffered what is believed to be a gunshot injury.

He was taken to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital where he is being treated for a serious injuries which are not thought to be life threatening.

Dallow Road is closed while investigations are carried out and a scene guard is in place around a property in the road and at a small section of the car park of a nearby school where the victim was found.

Bedfordshire Police Commissioner warns of 'funding Armageddon'

The Police and Crime Commissioner of Bedfordshire warns of 'funding Armageddon' Credit: ITV News Anglia

The Police and Crime Commissioner for Bedfordshire is warning of "funding Armageddon" for the county's force.

Olly Martins, the Labour PCC, says that despite years of underfunding, Home Office grant for Bedfordshire is to remain the same at 0.9% of the national police grant

"The Conservative Government appears set on playing politics not only with Bedfordshire's policing but also with national security.

"In Luton we are responsible for policing an area that has many of the characteristics of an inner London borough, but with a fraction of the police resource."

– Olly Martins, Police & Crime Commissioner in Bedfordshire

Mr Martins says Bedfordshire has 163 police officers per 100,000 population which is below the national average of 226 and less than half the 381 in the Metropolitan Police area.

Advertisement

Bedfordshire man in paedophile ring jailed for 32 years

Robin Hollyson has been jailed for 32 years Credit: Bedfordshire Police

A Bedfordshire man who was part of a paedophile ring has been jailed for 32 years.

Robin Hollyson, 30, was one of seven men jailed for a total of 107 years at Bristol Crown Court. They had been convicted of 30 child sexual abuse offences. Hollyson had pleaded guilty to a number of sex offences against children and possessing indecent images of children.

Hollyson had already been arrested Bedfordshire Police when the force was contacted by the National Crime Agency with information about his involvement in a wider ring.

The continuing investigation has led to the arrest of 28 more people. Three have been charged. The victims identified so far were under the age of five when the offences were committed.

“The sentences passed today show just how seriously the courts and law enforcement agencies consider the evil actions of these men.

"Hollyson and these men went to great lengths in order to carry out their depraved acts. Befriending and grooming a family in order to target their child is truly sickening and clearly shows their level of determination to identify and exploit a victim.

“Thankfully, such extreme cases involving a network of offenders are incredibly rare."

– Detective Inspector Jerry Waite, Bedfordshire Police

“No family ever wants to find that their child has been the victim of abuse, nor would they ever knowingly put their child at risk.

“As a family we now need to mend - seeing the perpetrators being brought to justice is the first step."

– Family of victim in Bedfordshire

Fears missing Luton family of 12 'may have fled to Syria'

The family. Credit: Bedfordshire Police

Bedfordshire Police have confirmed they're investigating the disappearance of a missing family of 12 from Luton, who they fear may have fled to Syria.

The family, including a baby and two grandparents, have not been seen since May after visiting their home country of Bangladesh and are thought to have stopped in Turkey on their way home.

They were were reported missing by a relative in Luton on 17 May.

The family in full

  • Muhammed Abdul Mannan, 75
  • Minera Khatun, 53
  • Rajia Khanom, 21
  • Mohammed Zayd Hussain, 25
  • Mohammed Toufique Hussain, 19
  • Mohammed Abil Kashem Saker, 31
  • Sheida Khanam, 27
  • Mohammed Saleh Hussain, 26
  • Roshanara Begum, 24
  • Three children, aged between one and 11

Officers say there's a suggestion they may have travelled to Syria, although they can't yet be certain.

“We are devastated by the disappearance of these 12 and are very concerned for their safety.

This is completely out of character and we are very worried of the danger they may now be in.

Muhammed Abdul Mannan is elderly and both he and Minera Khatun have health issues.

This just does not make any sense. We can only think they have been tricked into going there, it is no place for elderly or young people.

We would urge any of them to please make contact with us or the police to let us know they are ok.”

– Family statement

Pictures of the family (three of the four sons)

31-year-old Mohammed Saker. Credit: Bedfordshire Police
19-year-old Mohammed Hussain. Credit: Bedfordshire Police
Mohammed Zayd Hussain, 25. Credit: Bedfordshire Police
Load more updates