Live updates

Man dies and another rescued in house fire

A man has died and another has been rescued from a house fire in Bedfordshire.

Fire crews received several 999 calls to reports of a fire in a house in Chelsea Gardens in Houghton Regis, at around 1.30am on Monday 2nd March.

When they arrived they found there was a fierce fire on the ground floor of the 2-storey dwelling, with smoke in the upper floor.

One man was rescued from the building and taken to hospital. A second person, believed to be a neighbour, was also treated for the effects of smoke inhalation. A third person, a man, died at the scene.

A fire investigation is underway.

Advertisement

Ambulances service loses equipment worth more £215,000

Credit: ITV News Anglia

The East of England Ambulance service has lost equipment worth more than £215,000 in the past two years.

The service said the problem of losing items is a "significant problem" to the trust.

Between 2012 and 2014 the trust say they have lost 30 special laptops costing £2,500 each and 10 defibrillators worth £90,000.

They have also lost 64 thermometers worth £72 each, 16 blood glucose monitors and a stretcher worth more than £8,000.

Perhaps the most bizarre lost item the trust misplaced was a vomit bowl.

The data was released following a Freedom of Information request from a member of the public.

Trust manager Karl Edwards, blamed "dynamic" and "chaotic" situations for equipment being left at the scene and said the focus was placed on giving the best possible care.

"That's why we're putting a great deal of focus into making sure we put practices and measures in place to minimise this going forward."

– Karl Edwards, East of England Ambulance Service

The items were all classified as "lost" rather than stolen, the trust confirmed.

It said it did not know how many of the items had subsequently been found.

Advertisement

Load more updates