Live updates

Herbie Hide handed 22-month sentence

Herbie Hide is facing a 22-month jail sentence. Credit: PA

Former boxing world champion Herbie Hide has been jailed for 22 months for conspiring to supply cocaine.

He was sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court this afternoon.

The 42-year-old, from Bawburgh near Norwich, was arrested earlier this year after being caught up in a sting operation organised by a newspaper.

Advertisement

Herbie Hide sentencing

Herbie Hide Credit: PA Images

Former boxing world champion Herbie Hide is due to be sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court for a drugs charge this afternoon (Friday 29 November).

The 42-year-old, from Bawburgh near Norwich, was arrested earlier this year after being caught up in a sting operation organised by a newspaper.

He originally pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine but changed his plea to guilty at the start of a trial at Norwich Crown Court.

Fighting back against gang violence

It's been an uneasy few months in Luton. There've been 10 shootings already this year, and now armed police are patrolling two estates known for gang related violence.

Sitting between the Marsh Farm and Lewsey Farm estates is Hockwell Ring Boxing Club. Volunteers there are working to engage young people in the area - getting them off the streets, and channelling their energy into sport.

Watch Olivia Paterson's report here...

Advertisement

  1. Malcolm Robertson

Ex-boxer Hide denies fight fixing allegations

A former boxing world champion has been caught on camera apparently offering to fix a fight for money.

Herbie Hide, from Bawburgh near Norwich, is seen on video telling undercover reporters from The Sunday Sun he could rig a match for £1,000,000.

The paper claims he also put its staff in touch with a drug dealer who offered them cocaine.

Herbie Hide told ITV News Anglia reporter Malcolm Robertson he realised it was a sting and was just playing along with it.

Ex-boxer Herbie Hide denies match fixing

Former boxing world champion Herbie Hide from Norfolk has denied fixing boxing matches Credit: Owen Humphreys/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Former boxing world champion Herbie Hide has denied fixing boxing matches after allegations he told a national newspaper he was prepared to rig a fight.

The 41-year-old from Bawburgh near Norwich allegedly told undercover reporters from the Sun he would fix a boxing match for £1,000,000.

The paper claims he also put them in touch with a drug dealer who offered them cocaine. Norfolk Police have confirmed they are investigating. Mr Hide has since said he's never fixed a match, and was playing along with the undercover reporters.

Olympic boxer Ogogo turns professional

Great Britain's Anthony Ogogo from Lowestoft with his Men's Middle (75kg) bronze medal Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Olympic boxing bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo from Lowestoft has signed his first professional contract. Middleweight Ogogo was announced as the newest recruit by Golden Boy Promotions, and the Briton is poised for his first paid fights in the new year.

Ogogo insisted now is an ideal time to leave the amateur ranks, having experienced podium success at London 2012.

He said: "I can't wait to get started. 2012 has been without doubt one of the greatest years of my life.

"Following the Olympics I've been looking to the future and considering a number of options, and feel that the time is now right to turn professional with Golden Boy."

A date and venue for Ogogo's first fight has yet to be announced.

Definitely worth an #FF: Ogogo thanks fans on Twitter

Ogogo's Twitter feed

Anthony Ogogo has used Twitter to thank fans for all the support throughout the Olympics.

The Lowestoft boxer @AnthonyOgogo told his followers:

"I can't begin to describe how much the support has meant to me. I'm truly humbled. Each an everyone of one of you should be proud of yourselves."

The Olympic bronze medallist also said #Bronze-SorryItsNotAGold.

Load more updates