Residents at all four properties had to be evacuated after the lightning strike in Bradwell.Read the full story ›
Three people have suffered smoke inhalation and a dog has died following a kitchen fire at Braintree in Essex.
Firefighters were called to Templar Road last night after the people living there returned home to find their house full of smoke.
The fire is thought to have been started accidentally by the dog who had jumped up at the cooker and turned the cooker on. Items left on the cooker then caught light.
The kitchen has been destroyed and the rest of the house has suffered extensive smoke damage.
Essex Police are appealing for help to find an 85-year-old dementia sufferer Doris Allen who is missing from her home in Bocking, near Braintree . Officers believe she went missing sometime between 11pm last night, Saturday, and 7.30am this morning.
She's described as white, 5ft 2ins tall, of slim build with short grey hair. She was likely to have left her home wearing a white jumper, black trousers and black boots. She may have been carrying a small black shoulder bag and a Sainsbury’s carrier bag containing various items of clothing.
Anyone who sees Doris or knows anything about her location should contact police at Braintree on 101.
More than 40,000 new homes could be built across north Essex as part of a scheme to create more so-called 'Garden Communities'.
The plans are in the very early stages but three possible sites have already been earmarked:
- West Colchester - 20,000 homes
- West Braintree - 13,000 homes
- Tendring/Colchester border - 9,000 homes
It is the brainchild of four councils across Essex, who are bidding for money from central government to fund the scheme.
We think it's vital that local authorities actually plan the developments and it's not just left to builders and speculators.
We want proper communities built for the future with, most importantly, the infrastructure in the beginning.
Police have arrested three men after a cannabis factory was discovered in Braintree.
1,000 cannabis plants were found at a warehouse in Convent Lane yesterday afternoon (Thursday, March 30).
The plants were said to be in the ‘drying out’ phase.
Three men from London, aged 28, 29 and 30, were arrested on suspicion of cannabis cultivation.
They were all taken Colchester police station where they remain in custody.
A full search of the building is due to take place today.
Shop staff were left shaken after being threatened by armed robbers in Halstead, Essex.
Four men - armed with a crowbar and hammer - walked into the Co-Op on Abels Road at around 8pm yesterday (17 January).
They forced staff to open the office safe and stole a four-figure sum of cash, before fleeing.
The men are described as wearing all black. Their faces were covered by scarves.
Police carried out a search of the area, but they could not find the suspects .
Officers are investigating whether it is linked to other robberies the Braintree district in recent months.
"This was a frightening incident for the members of staff involved.
"Essex Police will not tolerate people causing fear and threatening violence, and we are confident we will find the people responsible. "We believe the local community can play an important part in bringing these people to justice and I would urge anyone with any information about this incident or any others to come forward."
A man has been arrested in connection with an armed robbery in Bocking near Braintree.
Four men went into the Chelmsford Star Co-Op in Church Street on Friday December 16.
They were armed with a crowbar, monkey wrench, and screwdriver.
They threatened staff and took a three-figure sum of cash from the till and cigarettes worth a three-figure sum.
A 21-year-old man from Witham was arrested on suspicion of robbery on December 27. He was released on bail until March 4, pending further enquiries.
Enquiries are ongoing.
An inquest into the mother and daughter who died in a house fire in Braintree has found they died together in the same room.
Alina Kordaszewska and her daughter Emilia died a few days before christmas after the fire was started by a candle in the lounge.
Their house was completely destroyed in the fire.
The provisional cause of death for both Alina and Emilia was breathing in smoke.
Tributes have been paid to a mother and daughter who died in a house fire at Braintree in Essex
Emergency services were called shortly before 10.45pm on Wednesday December 21 with reports of a fire in South Street, Braintree.
Two women aged 43 and 18 had managed to get out of the property before emergency services arrived. They were taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
A 41-year-old woman and an 11-year-old girl were trapped inside and died at the scene.
Formal identification has yet to take place but police have provisionally identified them as Alina Kordaszewska and her daughter, Emila Kordaszewska.
Forensic post mortem examinations were completed yesterday, Friday December 23, and the provisional cause of death was smoke inhalation.
A joint fire and police investigation has concluded the cause of the fire was started by candles in the lounge. A file will be prepared for the coroner.
Alina and I were married for nearly 20 years.
We grew up together as children and married when we were 21. We had our first daughter, Milena, 18, then our youngest daughter, Emila.
We came to England ten years ago and moved to Braintree.
Alina was a very quiet person but had lots of friends at her workplace, Tyco Electronics, where she worked for nine years.
Emila went to John Ray Junior School and started at Notley High School in September. She had lots of friends and she was always trying to help people.
Alina and Emila were very much loved and we will miss them greatly.
We would like to thank everyone for their support and everything they have done for us.
We have had so much support from our friends and the community; we are overwhelmed by their generosity. Friends have also brought us clothes and food and have helped us with housing.”
A fundraising page set up for the survivors of a house fire which claimed the lives of a mother and daughter has exceeded expectations.Read the full story ›