Live updates

Warning over spate of Cambridge burglaries

There have been more than 60 burglaries in Cambridge in less than three weeks. Credit: Chris Radburn/PA Wire

Police in Cambridge have issued a warning to homeowners following more than 60 burglaries in less than three weeks.

Most have taken place in the CB1 and CB4 areas of the city.

The monthly average for burglaries in Cambridge is around 40.

Six people have been arrested in connection with the break-ins but police say homeowners should still be vigilant.

Addenbrooke's declares major incident

Addenbrooke's Credit: ITV News Anglia

Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge have declared a major incident due to unprecedented demand.

The hospital has cancelled all non-emergency procedures and is urging people to stay away unless absolutely necessary.

The full statement can be read below.

Since New Year’s Eve CUH has been under extreme pressure and for the past two days we have been in critical internal incident mode.

As of 19:00 tonight we have declared a major incident. This is due to unprecedented levels of demand on our services with especially high numbers of frail elderly patients, combined with a record level of patients whose medical care is finished and whose discharge is delayed (DTOCs).

Our priority is to care safely for the patients already in the hospital and arrange the safe discharge of those who are well enough to go home and to ensure that we can provide care for those who require urgent treatment.

Giving the extreme circumstances, we are contacting the relatives of patients who are medically fit to go home, with ongoing care needs such as feeding or personal care and asking them, wherever possible, to take their relative home while adult social care put their care packages in place.

As part of our plans to manage high demand on our services, we have cancelled all non- emergency surgery and procedures. Right across the country the situation is similar. Ambulance and community services are also under pressure and this has put additional pressure onto acute hospitals.

We would therefore ask patients not to attend A&E unless they have an emergency or life threatening condition.

I would like to thank all staff, whether based in the hospital or in the community, who are working very hard to ensure we can continue to provide care to our patients in these challenging circumstances.

– Dr Keith McNeil, CUH ceo

Advertisement

Advertisement

Woman in court charged with fraud

A woman will appear in court on charges relating to fraudulent refunds being paid to a customer at six John Lewis stores including one in Cambridge.

Thames Valley Police said Laima Butke, 54, of no fixed address, but who lives in London, has been charged with eight counts of fraud by false representation between November 16 and December 14.

The stores said to be involved in the alleged incidents are in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire; Leicester; Oxford Street, London; Southampton; Cambridge; and Kingston upon Thames, Surrey.

Butke was remanded in custody by magistrates last week and will next appear at Aylesbury Crown Court on January 2, the spokesman said.

Nick Lidstone sentencing - Cambridgeshire Police statement

Cambridgeshire Police have released the following statement in response to the sentencing of former police officer Nick Lidstone, after it was revealed he had been caught taking indecent pictures of girls nearly a decade before his conviction, on charges including rape and indecency with a child.

"At the time of the offences in 2005 the case was reviewed and the then Deputy Chief Constable decided Lidstone be placed on restricted duties. If we were faced with the same decision today, a more severe sanction would be imposed."

– Simon Parr, Chief Constable, Cambridgeshire Police

NSPCC "staggered" that peadophile sergeant wasn't sacked after being caught taking pictures of children

Nick Lidstone has been sent to prison. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

The child protection charity the NSPCC say that they're "staggered" that a Cambridgeshire policeman was allowed to keep his job despite being caught taking indecent pictures of girls nearly a decade ago.

Former Sergeant Nick Lidstone has now been sent to prison for 14 and a half years after admitting a series of rapes and child sex attacks.

Jon Brown has questioned why Lidstone was only charged with a public order offence. Credit: ITV

"He was originally charged with taking photographs up young girls skirts.

Clearly, that's an offence of a sexual nature and yet he was, for some reason, charged with a public order offence.

That does need to be looked at again, to give the public a better understanding as to why a serious offence like that was only dealt with in that way."

– Jon Brown, NSPCC
Load more updates