Live updates

Tories accused of breaking spending rules in Clacton by-election

The Clacton by-election, 2014 Credit: ITV Anglia

The Conservative party is facing questions over allegations it failed to declare tens of thousands of pounds spent on 2014 by-elections, including the election in Clacton.

According to electoral rules, each party is allowed to spend £100,000 on campaigning in a by-election.

But Channel 4 News says it found bills totalling £26,786 in Clacton which would have taken the Tories £10,835 over the limit.

It's claimed the party also broke electoral rules in two other campaigns - Newark and Rochester and Strood.

Channel 4 News says it uncovered £56,866 of undeclared hotel bills in Rochester, which would have taken the party £53,659 over the spending limit.

In Newark it found bills totalling £10,459 in Newark, which would have meant a £6,650 overspend.

The Tories defeated UKIP in Newark, but went on to lose the other two by-elections.

A party spokeswoman said: "All by-election spending has been correctly recorded in accordance with the law."

Ukip's Clacton MP Douglas Carswell told Channel 4 News: "It's shocking ... It's simply intolerable. You have to have a law to make sure you don't have unfair advantage.

"We need to look at whether the Electoral Commission should have the right powers. I will certainly be raising it (with the commission)."

Latest phase of major Clacton revamp approved

The coastline at Clacton. Credit: ITV News Anglia.

A major revamp of a landmark site on Clacton seafront has been given the thumbs up.

The £1m plans for a new children's water park on Marine Parade East, as well as extra covered areas for new attractions, will form the third phase of the redevelopment on Clacton Pavillion.

The proposals have been approved by Tendring District Council.

Advertisement

Efit released in connection with indecent exposure in Clacton

Efit image of a man officers want to trace. Credit: Essex Police

Police have released an efit image of a man they want to trace in connection with an incident of indecent exposure and sexual touching in Clacton.

The incident happened at 8.50pm on December 12 when a 19-year-old woman was at the junction of Coronation Road and St Osyth Road when she was stopped by a man who engaged her in conversation.

The man then exposed himself to the woman and grabbed her.

Anyone who can identify him is asked to contact police on 101.

Family pay tribute to 'loving mother, sister and grandma'

Kathleen Griffin with her son Dale. Credit: Essex Police

The family of a woman who was found dead at her home in Clacton last Friday have paid tribute to her.

Kathleen Griffin, aged 57, of Old Road, in Clacton, died after being stabbed a number of times.

Her son Dale McMullan said: "Kathy will be dearly missed by all that knew and loved her. We have lost a loving mother, sister and grandma. There is now a space in our family that can never be filled. We, the family, would respectfully ask for time for us to grieve."

Scott Hilling, aged 25, of no fixed abode has been charged with Kathleen's murder and is remanded in custody to appear before Chelmsford Crown Court tomorrow.

Man could lose sight after acid attack

A 21-year-old man may have been left blinded permanently in one eye after having acid thrown in his face.

The un-named victim was hit in the face with a hard object and then had acid thrown at him as he walked alone near his home earlier this month.

He went to hospital where he needed specialist eye treatment for his injuries.

It is not yet known if the victim will fully recover the sight in his right eye.

The man was too unwell to immediately report the incident, which happened on December 13 at Clacton in Essex.

Investigating Officer Dc Mo Crawley said: "This was an unprovoked attack on a lone man who was just walking by.

We would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time who may have seen anything suspicious or from anyone who has any information about who the attackers could be."

She added: "This appears to be an isolated attack. Those responsible do need to be caught and prosecuted."

Advertisement

Clacton murder victim died from multiple stab wounds, post-mortem reveals

The woman's body was found in a house in Old Road. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A woman who was killed in Clacton on Friday morning (December 18) died from multiple stab wounds to the chest, a post-mortem has revealed.

The body of the woman, who was believed to be in her late 50s, was found in a house in Old Road.

A 25-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is due to appear in court tomorrow (December 21).

Man charged with murder after woman's body found in Clacton

The woman's body was found in a house in Old Road. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A 25-year-old man has been charged with murder after a woman was found dead in Clacton.

The body of the woman, who was believed to be in her late 50s, was found in a house in Old Road on Friday morning (December 18).

Scott Hilling was arrested in the town later that night and is due to appear in court tomorrow (December 21).

Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in Clacton

The woman was found dead in Old Road. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A 25-year-old man from Clacton has been arrested on suspicion of murder and has been taken to Clacton Police Station for questioning.

Detectives had launched a murder investigation after the body of a woman was found at a property in Old Road in Clacton on Friday morning (December 18).

Officers went to the address just after 10.50am following reports of concern for the welfare of a resident. Police attended and found the body of a woman, believed to be in her late 50s, inside the premises.

Paramedics were called and confirmed the victim was deceased. A post-mortem to establish the cause of death has not yet taken place but police believe she was killed.

A forensic examination of the scene is being carried out. Other officers have also been carrying out house to house enquiries and requesting CCTV footage from any nearby commercial and residential properties.

UKIP leader Farage insists he's going nowhere after Carswell calls for change

Douglas Carswell and Nigel Farage have clashed again. Credit: PA

The UKIP leader Nigel Farage has told the party's only MP to "put up, or shut up", after he made new calls for him to step down as leader.

The Clacton MP Douglas Carswell told BBC Essex the party needed a "fresh face" at the top and questioned Mr Farage's response to UKIP's poor showing in the Oldham West and Royton by-election.

"He has been trying to sow division in a party where none exists.

91% of UKIP voters in the country support my leadership and Douglas Carswell has privately been saying for some months he doesn't support me and now he's saying it in public.

I'm sorry, but Mr Carswell is out on a limb."

– NIGEL FARAGE
Load more updates