The Chief Executive of Colchester Hospital has apologised to patients who he says have been "let down" by the trust.
Dr Gordon Coutts was giving his reaction to today's news that the hospital has been reported to Essex Police following complaints from staff that they were being asked to falsify data on cancer patients.
Staff told inspectors they were "pressured or bullied" to change data relating to patients to make it look as if they were being treated in line with national guidelines.
Colchester hospital has now set up a special helpline so any cancer patients or relatives who have concerns can get in touch.
The number to ring is 0800 028 2026 and it will be staffed from 8am to 8pm seven days a week.
Colchester MP Sir Bob Russell has described today's announcement about Colchester hospital as "devastating".
The hospital has been reported to police following complaints from staff that they were being "pressured or bullied" to falsify data relating to cancer patients.
Sir Bob Russell said: " The apparent cover-up is of the utmost seriousness and there can be no justification under any circumstances."
But he also stressed that every year around 6,000 people attend Colchester’s hospitals for cancer treatment, and that the number subject of the investigation was just 30 – “but that is 30 too many.”
Sir Bob added: “From my perspective, what has been unearthed does not indicate that such systematic failings exist throughout the Colchester Hospital Trust.
"Staff at both Colchester General Hospital and Essex County Hospital, and by that I mean all staff, medical and support, have my total confidence that they are doing a first class job for which all of us should appreciate."
Essex MPs have given their support to Colchester Hospital managers after news the Trust was being investigated over high death rates.
Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust was one of five trusts to be targeted by inspectors following a damning report into years of abuse and neglect at Stafford Hospital. But MPs say the Government was wrong to single out Colchester. Serena Sandhu has more.
An Essex pensioner died after choking on a pill that a nurse should never have given him. Norman Betchley from Fingringhoe was given the tablet even though there was a sign above his bed saying that he mustn't be fed via his mouth. Serena Sandhu reports.