West Indies star Brian Lara will play against Hertfordshire on Sunday in a special match at Lord's, but it could have been very different...Read the full story ›
Essex fast bowler Reece Topley has signed a contract extension.
The 20-year-old will now stay with the county until the end of the 2015 season.
Topley took over 80 wickets in an impressive 2013 campaign, and was nominated for the Professional Cricketers' Association Young Player of the Year award.
“I am delighted to sign an extension to my contract with Essex as I have been at the club since I was nine-years-old and continue to really enjoy my cricket here at Chelmsford," Topley told the club's official website.
“First Division cricket is extremely important both to me and the club, and I hope I can assist Essex in gaining promotion and also winning One-Day trophies.”
Northamptonshire have signed New Zealand international bowlers Ian Butler and Neil Wagner.
Both players have signed from Cricket Otago in their native country.
Butler joins the county straight away, and will stay until late July.
The 32-year-old has previously played for Nottinghamshire and Gloucestershire.
Meanwhile, Wagner will arrive for the final five LV= County Championship matches of the campaign.
He enjoyed a good series against England last year, and will join up with his new teammates after the Blackcaps tour to the West Indies.
Alastair Cook is confident he has the full support of the new-look England set-up, having questioned his position as captain after the Ashes.
The Essex star said: "I was asked about (my future) after Sydney and after a long, gruelling winter, I gave it consideration," he said. "I think it would be wrong if I didn't.
"If you don't question your position as leader then, you never will."
"The ECB, since Paul Downton's come in, they've backed me and we've got to justify that confidence"
He said: "It was nice that the guys I spoke to, other members of the side, were very supportive and that's good to hear. I spoke to Stuart Broad and others and they said 'no, you must carry on'."
Former Essex and Pakistan cricketer Danish Kaneria has lost a High Court fight with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
The player was given a life ban after a disciplinary panel concluded that he had encouraged a team-mate to under-perform - by deliberately conceding runs - during a limited overs game against Durham in 2009 and brought cricket into disrepute.
The decision was upheld by an appeal panel in 2013.
But Kaneria decided to take High Court action - claiming that the ECB appeal panel had been wrong to uphold the life ban and wrong to order him to pay ECB legal costs of £200,000.
Today a High Court judge dismissed those claims at a hearing in London.
Mr Justice Hamblen said the appeal panel had not exceeded its powers and there were no grounds for suggesting an error of law had been made.
While there's little joy to be found from England's winter, in the domestic game Northamptonshire have plenty to look forward to.
But they have been dealt an early blow with South African bowler Rory Kleinveldt forced out of his overseas player contract because of injury - the latest in a long line. But that apart, they're in good spirits, as Jim Rice reports.
Click below to watch a report from ITV News Anglia's Jim Rice
England captain Alastair Cook says that it took a lot of guts to sack Kevin Pietersen but maintains that it was the right decision.Read the full story ›
Former Essex and Pakistan cricketer Danish Kaneria, who was given a life ban after a disciplinary panel concluded that he encouraged a team-mate to under-perform, is involved in legal action with the England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
A High Court judge heard detail of his case at a behind-closed-doors hearing in London.
Mr Justice Andrew Smith said before the hearing that he was examining an issue arising from arbitration between Kaneria and the ECB. He said issues arising from arbitration were normally discussed in private.
No detail of any claim was aired in public.
The ECB charged Kaneria with inducing anther Essex player to "deliberately concede" runs in a limited overs game against Durham in 2009 and with bringing cricket into disrepute.
A disciplinary panel found that charges had been proved after a hearing in 2012. An appeal upheld the decision to impose a life ban in 2013
The squad for the annual match between the MCC and the county Champions has been announced.
Essex bowler Monty Panesar will be a part of the MCC squad to face Durham next month.
The spinner could play alongside India batsman Virender Sehwag who is captaining the side.
Essex all-rounder Ravi Bopara has been named in both England's World Twenty20 squad and the one-day party to tour the West Indies.
England travel to the Caribbean to play three ODIs and three Twenty20 matches in early March, before heading to Bangladesh to take part in the World T20 tournament soon after.