Live updates

Stuart Lubbock's father welcomes Barrymore damages decision

Terry Lubbock, the father of a man found dead in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool. Credit: ITV News Anglia

The father of the man found dead in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool has welcomed the High Court's ruling that the entertainer should get damages from Essex Police.

Stuart Lubbock's father Terry says the publicity will keep his campaign to get to the truth behind his son's death in the public eye.

After Stuart Lubbock was found raped and murdered at the Michael Barrymore's home near Harlow in 2001, the star's television career was effectively halted.

He was arrested in 2007 in connection with Mr Lubbock's death but later released without charge. He wants millions to replace his potential loss of earnings.

  • Click to watch a report by ITV News Anglia's Hannah Pettifer

Advertisement

TV's Michael Barrymore to get damages for wrongful arrest

Former TV entertainer Michael Barrymore is to be paid damages for wrongful arrest. Credit: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

Entertainer Michael Barrymore is entitled to "more than nominal" damages against Essex Police over the wrongful arrest which he says destroyed his career, a High Court judge has ruled.

The comedian and TV presenter was arrested and detained in June 2007 on suspicion of the rape and murder of 31-year-old Stuart Lubbock, who was found in the swimming pool at his home in Roydon near Harlow six years earlier.

Mr Justice Stuart-Smith, sitting in London on Friday, ruled against the force, which had argued that Mr Barrymore should only receive a nominal payout.

Deputy Chief Constable of Essex Police to face gross misconduct hearing

Essex Deputy Chief Constable Matthew Horne is facing a gross misconduct hearing

The Deputy Chief Constable of Essex, Matthew Horne is to face a gross misconduct hearing after an investigation into claims he was verbally and physically abusive towards colleagues.

The allegations were referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission earlier this year.

Now the investigation has been completed the IPCC have decided there is case to answer on three of the allegations but a fourth has been dismissed.

The hearing will be arranged by Essex Police in due course.

40 arrested as police crackdown on knife crime

The initiative was part of the nationwide Operation Sceptre Credit: Essex police

Almost 20 weapons have been seized by police and 40 people have been arrested as part of a national initiative to tackle knife crime.

Officers and Special Constables from local policing teams executed warrants, carried out roadside checks and high-visibility patrols.

They also visited 50 schools and more than 70 retail premises.

In total 12 knives, including a sword and a machete were seized, as well as seven other weapons, including a hammer, a dumbbell, and an iron bar.

It is not acceptable to carry a knife on our streets. It does not make you safer, it puts lives at risk, and it could result in you being sent to prison.

I don’t want the communities of Essex or those who carry knives to be under any illusions – our work to tackle this is does not stop now the week of action is over.

The whole community has a role to play in tackling this issue and we also need members of the public to contact us if they know of someone who is carrying a knife.

– Assistant Chief Constable Andy Prophet

Advertisement

Over 50 arrested in Essex in drink-driving crackdown

More than fifty people have been arrested in summer anti-drink driving crackdown in Essex

52 people have been arrested during the first two weeks of a police summer anti-drink and drug driving campaign in Essex.

The campaign started on June 1 and will run until June 30.

During the first fortnight, 35 people have been arrested on suspicion of drink driving offences and 17 on suspicion of drug offences.

Adam Pipe, Casualty Reduction Manager at Essex Police, said:

Driving while under the influence of drink and drugs ruins lives and devastates communities.

I believe the people of Essex find this kind of behaviour completely unacceptable and I would urge anyone who knows of someone who drink or drug drives to contact us.

– Adam Pipe, Essex Police

Police say they had to destroy escaped cow in Essex

Essex Police say they had to destroy an escaped cow to protect the public

Police in Essex say they had no choice but to destroy one of two cows that escaped from a field in Billericay.

It happened yesterday morning and the other animal still hasn't been found.

Superintendent Nick Morris said

We tried, along with the farmer, everything we could to capture one of the animals but it became increasingly distressed, aggressive, and unpredictable. The safety of the public is paramount and officers were forced to humanely destroy it.

– Supt Nick Morris, Essex Police

There have been no further sightings of the second cow. Anyone who sees the cow in the Billericay or Stock area should not approach it but contact the police.

Police in Essex investigating fatal crash

Police in Essex are investigating the death of a man who was found in a car at South Woodham Ferrers.

Police in Essex are investigating the death of a man who was found in a car at South Woodham Ferrers.

Police were called yesterday afternoon after a black Jaguar X-Type Sport was found in a small embankment off the A132 Burnham Road.

The driver a 66-year-old man from the Burnham area was pronounced dead at the scene.

It's believed he had been driving towards the South Woodham Ferrers area when it left the road.

Load more updates