Essex County Council has said the John Ray Infant School in Braintree will not be open next week after it was destroyed by fire.
Councillors have met to decide on temporary accommodation for the school as soon possible. However, the school will not be able to open on Tuesday September 3 as planned.
Cllr Ray Gooding, Cabinet Member for Education and Lifelong Learning, said: "I am very sad for the community as this very fine school has lost its building.
"The school has excellent leadership and I have every confidence that once we can arrange temporary accommodation they will continue to provide very good education.
"I am also immediately looking into plans for a properly rebuilt school and will be working with the school leadership on this."
The headteacher of the John Ray Infant School in Braintree has spoken of her shock after her school was burnt down.
Headteacher Sandra Way said: "I was incredibly saddened and shocked by the fire on Saturday and am disappointed that there will be a delay to the start of the new term.
"We will be working closely with the district and county council to ensure we can start the new school year as soon as possible."
Two building contractors working on the Essex infant school which went up in flames have been treated by the ambulance service.
The workers at the John Ray Infant School in Braintree were treated by paramedics yesterday (Saturday) for the affects of breathing in smoke.
Firefighters said they will "salvage what they can" from the remains of an infant school in Essex destroyed by fire.
The John Ray Infant School in Notley Road in Braintree caught fire yesterday (Saturday) afternoon.
Around 50 firefighters were involved in the operation to extinguish the blaze.
Crews reported this morning (Sunday) that the blaze was out, but firefighters remained at the scene.
Notley Road has been reopened to traffic.
Senior Divisional Commander Danny Fearn said: "It is likely that the entire infant school building will be destroyed but we have tried to salvage what we can from the building."
An extra four fire engines were called in at around 6pm to help tackle the blaze at John Ray Infant School in Braintree.
Thirty firefighters are tackling a blaze at a school in Essex.
Seven fire engines have been at John Ray Infants School on Notley Road in Braintree since about 4.30pm this afternoon.
There aren't thought to be any casualties.
The cause of the fire isn't clear at this stage.
A man's body has been found in a house in Cambridgeshire which was destroyed by fire at the weekend.
Witnesses report an explosion at the house in Littleport, near Ely yesterday morning. It took firefighters seven hours to extinguish the flames.
Click below to watch Kate Prout's report.
An investigation into a fatal house fire in Cambridgeshire is underway.
The fire broke out yesterday at Kingsmead Court in Littleport after reports of an explosion from inside a house.
The fire was extinguished by around 7pm.
The body of a man was discovered inside the house.
The body of a man has been discovered in a house fire in Cambridgeshire.
The fire service was called to a blaze at a home in Kingsmead in Littleport at around midday on Sunday August 18.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said they were working with the fire service to discover how the fire started.
A spokesman said: “The body of a man was discovered in the property. The death is currently being treated as unexplained and investigations will continue this morning.”