Live updates

Pensioner injured in beach hut 'fireball'

A 70-year-old man suffered burns after a gas bottle exploded at a beach hut in Frinton in Essex.

A disposable barbecue fumes from the bottle ignited, and a fireball launched the gas bottle out of the hut and onto the Lower Promenade. The man was taken to hospital with burns to his arms and face.

Tendring District Council staff nearby have been praised for their quick reactions in calling emergency services.

Seafront Rangers Michelle Perry and Andrew Dawkins attended to the man until the ambulance arrived.

“They all did a first class job in looking after this man in what must have been a very frightening incident for him and his family,” he said.

“We also wish the gentleman with the burns a very speedy recovery.”

– Nick Turner, Tendring District Council

Advertisement