Live updates

Man appears in court over fatal Gorleston stabbing

A man has appeared at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court this morning, charged with the murder of a woman in Norfolk.

A cordon set up in Sussex Road, Gorleston Credit: ITV News Anglia

Officers found the body of 50-year-old Lorna McCarthy at an address in Sussex Road on Sunday. A post-mortem investigation confirmed she died from a stab wound to the heart.

Barry McCarthy, who is also 50, was remanded into custody to appear before Norwich Crown Court on Thursday.

Man in court over Gorleston murder

A man will appear at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court today charged in connection with the death of a woman in Gorleston.

Barry McCarthy, 50, of Sussex Road in Gorleston, has been charged with murder.

Officers found the body of 50-year-old Lorna McCarthy at an address in Sussex Road on Sunday.

A Home Office post mortem examination has confirmed that Lorna died from a stab wound to the heart.

Advertisement

Woman found stabbed to death

.

Police have launched a murder enquiry following the fatal stabbing of a woman at a house in Gorleston, near Great Yarmouth.

Officers were called to an incident in Sussex Road at about 1.30pm. They found the body of a woman, believed to be in her 50s.

The property has been sealed off while officers carry out forensic enquiries and a man in his 50s has been arrested on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody at Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre where he will be questioned later by detectives.

We are in the early stages of our investigation and working to establish the sequence of events which led to this woman’s death. However, this does appear to be an isolated incident within a property involving the two householders.

– Det Chief Insp Peter Hornby, Norfolk Police

Appeal after straw bale set alight in Gorleston

Straw bale set alight in Gorleston. Credit: PA Images

Police are appealing for witnesses after a straw bale was set alight in a field in Gorleston.

The fire to the one tonne straw bale and a 100 metre strip of stubble in a field off Excalibur Road was started sometime between 6pm and 7.30pm on Saturday 9 August.

Officers are keen to speak to two groups of young people who were seen in the area at the time. The first group is believed to have been made up of four males described as white and aged around 18 and 19-years-old. The second group, of up to six males, have been described as white, aged around 15 and 16-years-old and in hooded tops and jeans.

Anyone with information should contact PC Pete Richeda at Gorleston Police Station on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Advertisement

Ukip councillor to face electoral malpractice charges

UKIP councillor Matthew Smith.

A Ukip councillor and would-be MP who is set to be charged over electoral malpractice allegations involving forged nomination papers says he will deny all wrongdoing.

Matthew Smith, who was due to contest the Great Yarmouth seat in next year's general election, will appear in court next month.

The county councillor, who is 26 and from High Street, Gorleston, is set to face seven counts of supplying a nomination paper to a returning officer knowing it to contain a forged signature and three counts of producing forged nomination papers.

The allegations relate to nomination papers for Norfolk County Council elections held in the Great Yarmouth district between March and April last year.

Today Ukip said Mr Smith had been suspended from both the Ukip group on Norfolk County Council and as a prospective parliamentary candidate.

But the councillor said he would deny all the charges and criticised the way news of the allegations had been made public.

He said: "If I am charged - and I haven't been charged yet - I will be denying all charges. I'll be pleading not guilty to everything.

"I want to issue a real cause for concern that the press was made aware of these charges before I was."

In a statement Norfolk Constabulary today said three men in total had been reported for summons. The charges were authorised by the Crown Prosecution Service.

Teenager charged over Norfolk stabbing

A teenager from Norfolk has been charged with grievous bodily harm after a man suffered stab wounds to his groin and head.

It happened on Thursday evening.

18-year-old Alexander Thorpe, of Warren Road in Gorleston, was charged on Friday.

He will appear before Norwich Magistrates Court on Saturday December 28.

The victim is receiving treatment at the James Paget Hospital and is described as in a stable condition.

Two additional men arrested in connection with this incident have been released with no further action.

Kate Prout reporting live from Gorleston earlier this evening

There's been widespread disruption with the east coast hit by, what's thought to be, the worst storm surge since 1953.

Thousands have evacuated their homes and businesses; power is down in many parts of the region and transport networks have also suffered.

Click below to see Correspondent Kate Prout reporting earlier this evening in Gorleston, near Great Yarmouth:

Load more updates