NHS bosses have announced plans to reduce maternity services at the Fryatt Hospital in Harwich to ease financial pressures.
Colchester Hospital University Trust says women may not have the option to give birth there from April next year.
Ante-natal, post-natal and consultant clinics will still carry on, as well as other maternity services.
The Trust is expected to make a decision by the end of the month.
“The Trust understands that the Harwich maternity unit is highly valued by some residents and is carefully considering this as part of its thinking.However, the Trust is also acutely aware of its role and responsibility as a guardian of public funds and their efficient and sustainable use. As part of these discussions, we must take into account the increasing cost of offering patients the option of giving birth at the unit. I can not as the person responsible for the public purse, for taxpayers money, I can not take the decision that means we are losing £6,000 per birth."
Two more people have been charged in connection with the murder of a man in Harwich last month.
44-year-old Michael Beckwith suffered serious head injuries after he was hit with a metal object in Barrack Lane on July 31.
23-year-old Triston Biddlecombe and 19-year-old Enderlein Biddlecombe have both been charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Three other people have already been charged with conspiracy to murder.
A couple tried to entice two boys away with them by telling them they had a Pokemon at their house in Essex.
The children, aged 10 and 11, had been playing Pokemon Go on a green close to the swimming pool at Lower Marine Parade in Harwich. They were with their mothers.
While playing the game, they were approached by a man and a woman who told them they had a Pokemon at their house and said the boys should go with them to see it.
Both refused and ran back to their mothers who contacted police.
The man was described as white, in his late 20s, 5ft 6in tall with dark brown hair and was wearing a short sleeved grey T-shirt. The woman had long light brown hair.
Three people have been charged with murder after a man was fatally struck with a metal object in Essex.
44 year old Michael Beckwith from Harwich suffered serious head injuries in the incident in Barrack Lane on July 31. He was taken to hospital, where he died on August 2.
27-year-old Scott Swift from Dovercourt, 21-year-old Rebecca Ryan from Weeley and a 17-year-old boy from Harwich have been charged with conspiracy to murder and will all appear at Colchester Magistrates' Court today (August 5).
The mother of man who was killed in Harwich earlier this week says he will be "very much missed by all who knew him."Read the full story ›
Essex Police have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man in Harwich.
It's believed that the 44-year-old victim was hit with a metal object in Barrack Lane on Sunday night (July 31).
He suffered serious head injuries and was taken to hospital, where he died on Tuesday.
Three people have been arrested on suspicion of murder.
A man accused of trying to smuggle 68 illegal immigrants through an Essex port has appeared in court facing extradition to France.
Iraqi born Rekwat Kayani is suspected of being behind an operation last June when refugees from Afghanistan, China and Vietnam were found inside four lorries in Harwich.
A section of Harwich beach has been evacuated after what's believed to be an unexploded hand grenade was found there.
A member of the public discovered it this morning and let the seafront warden know.
Police have now put a 100m cordon up near Low Road and say it could remain there until later tonight when the tide goes out.
A man from Northamptonshire has been jailed for 15 years and another from Suffolk for 11 years for their part in a drug smuggling operation.Read the full story ›
A man from Nottinghamshire has been jailed for his role in organising the smuggling of £1.6 billion of drugs into the UK in fake ambulancesRead the full story ›