Live updates


ITV News Anglia has a new look: Watch the studio under construction

You may have noticed that ITV News Anglia has a new look.

The nightly news programme for the East of England has a brand-new set to bring ITV News Anglia into line with the rest of the ITV network news.

If you want to see how it was all done, then click below to watch a short clip showing the studio being constructed.

  1. Stuart Leithes

Victorian student's diary reveals exam stress hasn't changed in 150 years

The diary of Victorian student Francis Hutton has gone on display at St John's College. Credit: ITV News Anglia

The diary of a young man who was a student at Cambridge University in the Victorian period is being put on public display for the first time.

It reveals that the stress of exams certainly hasn't changed in the past 150 years.

The notebook can be viewed at St John's College library as part of Open Cambridge week.

Student Francis Hutton's handwriting is suitably spidery and the diary is complete with amusing doodles. It gives a fascinating insight into life at the college in the 1800s.

Click below to watch a report by ITV News Anglia's Stuart Leithes

Rare WW2 jeep stolen from Duxford Imperial War Museum

The rare 1944 Willys Jeep stolen from the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

The owner of a rare Second World War jeep stolen while it was on show at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford says he's been left devastated as it belonged to his father.

The American Marine used it while he was stationed at Pearl Harbour during the war.

It was being displayed as part of a classic vehicle event when it was taken on Sunday.

The 73-year-old owner, who doesn't want to be named, says it has 'great sentimental value' and just wants it back.

"It is extremely upsetting to lose the Jeep because it held such fond memories of my father.

"These Jeeps were built to last no longer than a week, or one tank of fuel. Soldiers even had printed instructions on how to destroy them quickly to prevent them falling into enemy hands.”

– Jeep's owner
Police in Cambridgeshire want help from the public in recovering the stolen jeep. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police


The history of Marconi in Chelmsford

A campaign group in Chelmsford has just over a month to raise 380-thousand pounds to keep a slice of radio history in the city.

Guglielmo Marconi, known as the inventor of radio, based himself in the town from the start of the 1900s.

The first factory his operations were run from is due to be converted to flats unless the money can be raised for a section to be kept as a heritage and learning centre.

Chelmsford is known as the birthplace of radio, so here's a look at some of the key dates in the history of Marconi in Essex.

Gugielmo Marconi Credit: East Anglian Film Archive
  • Guglielmo Marconi is credited with being the inventor of radio - being the first to transmit signals over about a mile and a half in 1895.
  • His "Wireless Telegraph and Signal Company" opened it's first factory in Chelmsford four years later (1899)
Marconi's Chelmsford factory in the 1800's Credit: East Anglian Film Archive
  • Marconi soon outgrew its Hall Street premises, and in June 1912 the company moved to the brand new purpose-built New Street Works
  • On 15 June 1920 the factory was the location of the first official publicised sound broadcast in the United Kingdom using two 450 feet radio broadcasting masts.
  • In 1922, the world's first regular wireless broadcasts for entertainment began from the Marconi laboratories at Writtle. It had the call sign '2MT'
  • In October 1922 Marconi helped form The British Broadcasting Company Ltd. (Four years later it was dissolved as a company and transformed into the British Broadcasting Corporation.
The New Street building in 2008 Credit: ITV Anglia
  • By 1965 the company had 13 divisions with factories in Chelmsford, Baddow, Basildon, Billericay, and Writtle
  • In 1999, Marconi's defence division, including the Chelmsford facilities, was purchased by British Aerospace to form BAE Systems.
  • The factory on New Street in Chelmsford closed in 2008 ending more than a hundred years of history.
Load more updates