Live updates

Family of missing Suffolk man appeal for help

Jai Williams from Ipswich Credit: ITV News Anglia

The family of a 20-year-old man who has been missing from Suffolk for nearly a week are appealing for help.

Jai Williams has been missing from his home in Ipswich since last Friday (22nd July).

He's been described as having fair skin, around 5'10/11, sandy coloured hair and recently started wearing it in short dreads.

Grandmother Joi Johnson-Black says his disappearance is out of character.

It is totally out of character for him to not contact his father, or leave a message for anyone.

We are all extremely worried. Having contacted the police and using the social media in a huge effort to find any information regarding my grandson, I am appealing to you to help us find Jai.

– Joi Johnson-Black

Olly Murs speaks of 'first love' football before joining Coggeshall Town on the pitch

Olly Murs Credit: PA

Olly Murs has spoken of his "first love" for football, before joining Coggeshall Town in their match against Ipswich Town on Friday (22 June).

It's not the first time the popstar has joined the Essex side on the pitch. He previously played with them for a Soccer Aid match in June, held at Old Trafford.

The match was was a draw at 1-1.

"I have a fantastic career and I get to do the most amazing things but part of my life - which is a huge part of it - is football.

People have seen me play football, but genuinely it's all I've ever done since I was a kid.

Forget about music. Music's kind of the second thing, my second love. Football's been my first."

– Olly Murs, popstar

Advertisement

Man attacked by group of four men in Ipswich

Credit: PA

A 28-year-old man has been assaulted by a group of four men in Ipswich.

It happened on the Sir Bobby Robson Bridge at West End Road in the early hours of this morning.

The victim was knocked to the ground and left with injuries by four men in their 20s. He sustained cuts and grazes to his head, knees, hands and feet, as some items of clothing were also torn away from him.

The offenders then stole a blue holdall he was carrying and a smaller black leather bag, along with his Samsung mobile phone and a wallet containing cards.

Police are trying to trace the four involved who are described as white, in their mid-teens to early 20s and wearing dark sports clothing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police.

Boots offer 'deepest condolences' after manslaughter verdict

Vinnie Barker was assessed at Boots. Credit: PA

Boots Opticians say they offer their "deepest condolences" to the family of an eight-year-old boy from Ipswich who died when an optometrist failed to spot a life-threatening condition.

Vinnie Barker died from fluid on the brain five months after a routine eye test by 35 year-old Honey Rose at Boots in 2012.

Rose was found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence at Ipswich Crown Court this morning.

We offer our deepest condolences to Vincent Barker’s family.

Our thoughts throughout this difficult period remain with the family following these tragic events.

– Ben Fletcher, Managing Director, Boots Opticians

Advertisement

Optometrist guilty of manslaughter after failing to spot condition

Honey Rose didn't spot Vinnie Barker's condition. Credit: ITV News Anglia/Suffolk Police

An optometrist has been found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence after failing to spot a life-threatening condition on an Ipswich boy.

Eight-year-old Vinnie Barker died from fluid on the brain five months after a routine eye test by 35 year-old Honey Rose at Boots in 2012.

The prosecution argue that Vinnie had swollen optic discs and could have been saved if it had been spotted.

Optometrist manslaughter trial: Court hears evidence

An optometrist, accused of incompetence in carrying out an eye test on an eight-year-old boy who later died, has begun giving evidence at Ipswich Crown Court.

35-year-old Honey Rose, from East London, told the jury about the difficulty she had examining Vinnie Barker's eyes because he was struggling with the bright light she was shining into them.

She denies manslaughter by gross negligence.

Click below for Malcolm Robertson's report from Ipswich Crown Court

Police investigate sexual assault in Ipswich

Police are appealing for information following a sexual assault in Ipswich.

On Wednesday 6 July at approximately 1.50pm, the victim, a sixteen year old girl, had left Ipswich station, crossed the road close to Station Hotel, and was heading into town on the Princes Street bridge footpath.

A man walked past and complimented her, and as she stopped, he grabbed her with both hands, pulled her towards him and then kissed her on the cheek and lips.

The man is described as a white male, 5 foot 6 inches tall, between 20 and 25 years old, with facial stubble and dark brown wavy hair that was cropped at the sides. He spoke with a foreign accent and was wearing a white t-shirt with a central logo.

Police would like to hear from anyone who may have information that could help with this investigation.

Jury hears expert witness in optometrist's gross negligence trial

Video report from ITV Anglia's Malcolm Robertson.

An eye specialist says an optometrist failing to carry out an internal examination of the eyes during a routine test would be guilty of a "fairly massive breach" in the duty of care.

Richard Booth was giving evidence in the trial of Honey Rose, an optometrist from East London, who is accused of manslaughter by gross negligence following the death of an eight-year-old boy from Suffolk.

She denies the charge. The trial continues at Ipswich Crown Court.

"If you see someone with a swollen optic disc, your duty is to refer that patient - and refer that patient urgently, ideally within 24 to 48 hours."

– Richard Booth, eye specialist
Load more updates