Couple ordered to rip up flowers

Northamptonshire County Council have told William and Mary Geidt their flowers are obscuring visibility for road users.

Live updates

Update: No controlled explosion required at Kettering property

Homes in Kettering were evacuated earlier after police discovered Second World War devices at a house.

They were found when officers searched the property in Highfield Road this morning.

The bomb disposal squad examined the devices which turned out to be of no threat and a controlled explosion was not needed.

Part of the road had been cordoned off, but is now open again.

Second World War devices discovered in Kettering property

Police have cordoned off a part of Highfield Road in Kettering.
Police have cordoned off a part of Highfield Road in Kettering. Credit: ITV Anglia

Police have cordoned off a part of Highfield Road in Kettering after a number of Second World War devices were discovered in a property.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team were also called and are currently carrying out a detailed examination of the devices.

Two houses adjacent to the property have also been evacuated

Advertisement

Teenage girl assaulted in Kettering town centre

A teenage girl was seriously assaulted in Kettering town centre early this morning (Sunday).

The 19-year-old was attacked on Montagu Street. The road was closed while an investigation was carried out.

Police say the incident would have been witnessed by people coming out of bars and clubs.

They want to speak to a man in his 20s in connection with the incident. He was wearing a red top and dark trousers. He has fair hair and is around 5ft 10ins to 6ft tall.

Anyone with information should contact Northamptonshire Police on 101.

Thieves target Kettering memorials

Police are appealing for witnesses after a string of thefts from memorials at Kettering Crematorium.

Items of high sentimental value were stolen on three separate occasions between Thursday August 22 and Sunday September 22.

The thieves took an ornamental train, scooters and pots.

Sergeant Alex Kitney, of Northamptonshire Police, said: "These despicable crimes have caused significant distress to the families who left these items as tributes to their loved ones. The items have little monetary value but are of huge sentimental value to the families."

Advertisement

Southend station: Investigation launched into whether woman was pushed onto track?

Police are investigating whether a 71-year-old woman in a wheelchair who fell on to railway tracks at Southend was pushed, it has been disclosed.

The incident happened at Southend station in Essex when the wheelchair rolled off a platform.

A railway worker who helped rescue her has been suspended and faces a disciplinary hearing.

British Transport Police is urging anyone who was at the station at the time of the incident, on Wednesday August 28, to come forward.

Detective constable David Bishop said: "The woman, a 71-year-old from Benfleet, was at the station with a friend, around 6.20pm, waiting for a train. Suddenly her wheelchair began to roll off the platform and on to the tracks.

"The woman was removed from the tracks and taken to Southend General Hospital, where she currently remains with a fractured hip."

Officers are keen to speak to anyone who may have saw the women fall on the tracks or the moments leading up to the incident.

Police said one line of inquiry is that she may have been pushed.

A spokesman for the train company c2c said: "We have strict rules regarding the safety procedure for the quickest way of stopping trains in an emergency. An employee has been suspended while our investigation into this incident continues."

Rail Maritime and Transport union general secretary Bob Crow said:

"Clearly it is a travesty of justice that a member of staff has ended up threatened with disciplinary action for helping avoid a potential tragedy at Southend and RMT is calling on the company to recognise the strength of feeling this case has generated amongst both staff and the public.

"RMT is representing our member and will do all that we can to ensure that he is returned to work as soon as possible with no stain on his record and a recognition that station-based rail staff play a crucial role in ensuring public safety."

Dunstable fans to raise money for troubled Kettering Town FC

Dunstable Town Football Club will raise money to help save Kettering Town FC

Dunstable Town Football Club will fundraise for troubled Kettering Town when they face each other this evening.

KTFC yesterday announced a winding-up order had been granted by the High Court.

It relates to a £58,000 debt owed to Rushden and Diamonds - the company left over when Rushden and Diamonds FC was dissolved in 2011.

It was unclear whether tonight's match at Creasey Park Stadium would go ahead but Dunstable Town have this morning announced the game is still on.

The club will donate £1 to Kettering Town from ticket sales for every full-paying adult who attends. It's encouraging fans to turn out tonight and help boost the fundraising total.

Final whistle for Kettering Town

Former home of Kettering Town

Kettering Town Football Club has has been wound up in the High Court today.

The club was officially wound up over a £58,000 debt owed to rival club Rushden and Diamonds (2008) Lt, the company left over after Kettering's former rival, Rushden and Diamonds FC, went to the wall in 2011.

High Court official Registrar Jones – who disclosed that he once represented Kettering Town as a lawyer – today ruled it was right to exercise his discretion to wind up the club.

Lawyers for the club had sought one more adjournment of four or five weeks in order to settle the debt.

The beleaguered club was in the Conference as recently as 2012 but two relegations had put it in the Southern League Division One Central.

The club was due to play Dunstable Town tomorrow, it is unclear whether the game is to go ahead.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories