A man has been sentenced to six years in prison at Cambridge Crown Court after being found guilty of offences against a child.
24 year old Daniel Shead of no fixed address was found guilty of two counts of penetrative sexual activity with a child and one of non-penetrative sexual activity with a child between December and May 2013 in Letchworth. The victim was a 14 year old girl.
The offences were investigated by Hertfordshire Constabulary’s HALO team, a police led team dealing with child sexual exploitation in partnership with Hertfordshire Children’s Services, the Hertfordshire Safeguarding Children Board and other agencies.
Detective Constable Heather Sheldon from the HALO team led the investigation and said:
“I hope this sentencing sends a clear message to others that we and our partners will do everything in our power to tackle these crimes."
Police are searching for a missing 13 year old teenage boy from Letchworth.
Kayne Jacob was reported missing to Hertfordshire Constabulary around 10.30pm on Thursday evening.
We know that people are concerned for Kayne and appeals have been circulating on social media to help trace him. I’d reassure people that we have been carrying out a number of enquiries and suspect he could be staying with friend either locally in Letchworth, or in London, where he has links.
“Our enquiries will continue and if anyone has information about where he may be they are asked to make contact with Police via the non-emergency number 101.”
With summer upon us and barbecues at the ready, we're being urged to think about fire safety.
Hertfordshire County Council has issued the warning after a fire at The Household Waste Recycling Centre in Letchworth. It had to close for several hours on 28th May after a fire in one of the bins caused by the remains of a disposable barbecue.
“This is not the first time that we have had to close a site for this reason and the fires could have been more serious."
– Terry Douris, Cabinet Member for Waste Management, Hertfordshire County Council
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service offers the following advice:
If you are using a disposable barbecue, ensure it has cooled before putting it in the bin.
If you are using a charcoal barbecue, never put hot ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin.
“Fires caused by disposal of barbecues are easily avoidable, but they have the potential to tie up our firefighters for some considerable time which could mean an engine is unavailable for other emergencies.”
– Richard Thake, Cabinet Member for Community Safety, Hertfordshire County Council