Live updates

Full report: Suffolk man found guilty of acid attack

A Suffolk man has been found guilty of arranging a devastating attack on his ex-girlfriend which has left her disfigured for life.

23-year-old beautician Adele Bellis had sulphuric acid thrown in her face as she waited at a bus stop in her home town of Lowestoft.

The police described Anthony Riley's actions as barbaric.

Adele said she'll survive the ordeal but that it had caused her unimaginable pain and suffering.

Click below to watch the full report from ITV News Anglia's Malcolm Robertson

Beautician scarred in acid attack says she will survive ordeal

Adele Bellis Credit: Suffolk Police

A beautician left disfigured after an acid attack in Lowestoft planned by her jealous ex-boyfriend has thanked campaigner Katie Piper for her support, adding: "I will survive this ordeal".

Beautician Adele Bellis, 23, lost an ear, was left partially bald and has "life-changing" permanent scarring following the sulphuric acid attack at a bus stop in her home town of Lowestoft on August 14 last year.

Five months before the attack she had been stabbed in the face by a friend of Riley's.

The acid attack was the culmination of a six-month campaign by her former partner of seven years, Anthony Riley, 26, who has been found guilty at Ipswich Crown Court.

In a statement, Miss Bellis welcomed the verdicts, saying she had been subjected to Riley's "violent, manipulative and jealous" behaviour since the age of 16. She thanked her family and friends as well as high profile acid attack survivor Ms Piper for their support.

Katie Piper Credit: PA

I find it difficult to put into words the pain I have suffered, I have very few tears left. The attacks on me have left me both physically and emotionally scarred.

My family and friends have been by my side throughout. I'm very grateful to the Katie Piper Foundation for their continued and close support which has proved invaluable in helping me to rebuild my life.

I will never forget what happened to me and it will always been in my mind but I am determined to live my life and I will survive this ordeal,

– Adele Bellis
Kevin and Colleen Bellis

Her parents, Kevin and Colleen Bellis, attended the hearing. They praised their daughter's strength, saying she still needs weekly treatment at a specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford.<

She is just so strong, without her we would all have crumbled.

– Kevin Bellis

Advertisement

Judge sums up in acid attack trial

The bus stop where the attack took place Credit: ITV Anglia

The Judge is summing up in the trial of two men accused of being involved in an acid attack on a beautician in Lowestoft.

22-year-old Adele Bellis lost her right ear and was badly disfigured when she was attacked in August last year.

It's alleged that her former partner - 27-year-old Anthony Riley from Lowesoft was - behind the attack. The prosecution at Ipswich Crown Court say he was motivated by jealousy because she had begun another relationship.

It's claimed 39-year-old Leon Thompson, also from Lowestoft, was the one who threw the acid into Adele Bellis's face. He's also accused of attacking her with a knife in April last year.

They deny conspiring to throw sulphuric acid over Miss Bellis, and deny conspiring to wound her.

After Judge John Deavux completes his summing up of the trial which began two weeks ago, the jury will retire to consider the verdicts.

Judge Devaux told the jury they must put aside the understandable sympathy they must feel for the victim and instead concentrate on the evidence they've heard in the trial.

Advertisement

Historic vessel returns to Suffolk

A sailing trawler, more than a century old, has returned to Lowestoft where she was once part of a large fishing fleet.

Deodar, which was owned by local business men John Methias Barnard and Jon Slater made the trip from Stockholm in Sweden where she has spent the last few decades with a new owner.

The family of John Barnard were in Lowestoft to welcome her home.

Click below to see a report from Liz Summers

Coastguards rescue 14-year-old from the sea near Lowestoft

The youngster was seen struggling in the water just after six yesterday evening. Credit: ITV News Anglia

A 14 year old boy had to be rescued from the sea at Corton near Lowestoft yesterday (July 31).

The youngster was seen struggling in the water just after 6pm yesterday evening.

Lifeboats from Lowestoft, Yarmouth and Gorleston attended and he was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Load more updates