The attempted abduction of a serviceman from RAF Marham five months ago is "quite possibly" nothing to do with terrorism, police have said.
The man, who was out running close to the base in West Norfolk in July, managed to escape his two attackers who'd tried to push him into a van.
The kidnap attempt was initially believed to be terrorist-related.
Police recieved 500 calls from the public after e-fits of the suspects were released.
Officers now say they are satisfied that there is another reason for the attack - possibly robbery or road rage.
The inquiry has cost police £71,000.
Detectives have said it is possible one of the suspects involved in the attempted abduction of an RAF serviceman suffered a visible facial injury.
It comes as police follow-up a number of calls and CCTV enquiries into the incident which happened at RAF Marham on Wednesday July 20.
Two men, described as Middle Eastern in appearance, were seen to be involved in the incident; however police have said more people could have been inside the vehicle.
The main suspect, who grabbed the serviceman while he was out jogging, and attempted to pull him into a dark coloured people carrier, is thought to have suffered an injury during the incident after being challenged by the victim.
They were involved in a scuffle during which the victim, aged in his late 20s, head-butted his attacker before punching him, causing the suspect to fall to the floor. It was at this point the second suspect, who was armed with a knife, appeared and went to the aid of his accomplice allowing the victim to run away and get help.
The victim managed to fight off his attacker and head-butted him, we believe around the eye-socket, so it is possible he suffered swelling and bruising in this area. He was then punched which caused him to fall to the ground. Clearly the extent of his injuries is unknown however we do not believe either attack caused the suspect to bleed, contrary to reports circulating in the media.
Britain's new state-of-the-art fighter jets will make their first flight over their future home in West Norfolk today.
The F35 stealth plane will be based at RAF Marham from 2018. They will take part in a flypast there this afternoon.
An RAF captain has said he is "absolutely confident" there will be no civilian casualties as air strikes were launched over Syria.
Captain Richard Davies, of RAF Marham in Norfolk said: "In over 400 air strikes that the RAF has carried out in Iraq, we have had absolutely no civilian casualties reported.
The rules of engagement that our crews apply both in the air and by the commanders on the ground mean that I am absolutely confident that that will continue to be the case with operations in Syria."
Tornado fighter bombers have been attacking IS targets in Iraq since September last year when MPs gave the green light for air strikes.
Captain Davies's comments follow a warning by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn in the lead-up to last night's vote that the move would "almost inevitably lead to the deaths of innocents".
The MOD has confirmed its Tornado jets have launched their first bombing raids in Syria.
A Ministry Of Defence spokesman confirmed RAF Tornados had returned from their "first offensive operation over Syria and have conducted strikes".
Two more jets from RAF Marham in Norfolk have joined the action this morning.
See RAF video of Tornado jets leaving Cyprus on bombing mission:
Three of the region's Conservative MPs voted against air strikes in Syria although the vast majority were in favour.Read the full story ›
Two more Tornado jets have left RAF Marham this morning for Cyprus.
They'll join those from the base already at RAF Akrotiri.
Tornado fighter bombers have been attacking IS targets in Iraq since September last year when MPs gave the green light for air strikes last night.
An oilfield in eastern Syria was the target of overnight RAF airstrikes, the Defence Secretary, has confirmed.
Fighter jets from the East of England have been involved in fresh airstrikes against Islamic State militants, in wake of the Paris terror attacks.
The Ministry of Defence said Tornado fighters from RAF Marham yesterday dropped a bomb killing a group of more than 30 militants who had opened fire on Kurds in northern Iraq.
The RAF jets also destroyed mortar positions and a hit a terrorist vehicle with a Hellfire missile.
Fighter planes from RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall have also been involved in strikes in Syria since the Paris attacks.
"The first flight used a Paveway bomb to destroy a mortar position which had opened fire on the Kurds. The following mission destroyed a heavy machine gun near Mosul with a Paveway IV, then proceeded west towards Sinjar.
"There was heavy cloud, which may have encouraged the terrorists to assume that they were safe from air attack, but, working very closely with the Kurdish forces, the GR4s were able to guide a Paveway on to a large group of over 30 Daesh terrorists who were massing for a counter-attack; the Kurdish unit subsequently reported that the air strike had been highly effective.
"The Tornado patrol then destroyed another Isil mortar position south-west of Sinjar."
A photographer based at RAF Marham has won a national award for his pictures.
Corporal Mike Jones is one of seven photographers working at the west Norfolk airbase and has travelled around the world taking pictures of servicemen and women in action.
Aircrew from Marham honoured for Libya missionsRead the full story ›