Live updates

Police release final images of murdered man

Sam Mechelewski pictured hours before he was murdered

Detectives investigating a murder in Huntingdon have released CCTV images of the victim hours before his death.

20 year old Sam Mechelewski, was captured on CCTV at a branch of Sainsbury’s in St Germain Walk, Huntingdon, shortly before 8pm on 31 January.

His body was found by a member of the public at about 1pm the following day (1 February) in a wooded area of Hinchingbrooke Country Park.

Officers are keen to speak to anyone who saw Sam after the sighting of him in Sainsbury’s.

House-to-house enquires have taken place close to where Sam’s body was discovered and extensive searches have taken place in the park.

Detective Chief Inspector Adam Gallop said:

A week after the discovery of Sam’s body we are again appealing to anyone with information to contact us as a matter of urgency.

If you recognise Sam from the CCTV image and saw him on the evening of 31 January please get in touch.

You may feel that information you have is insignificant, but it might help us piece together Sam’s movements in the final hours of his life. I would like to emphasise again that I believe this was a targeted attack, but one that sadly resulted in the death of a young man.”

– DCI Adam Gallop, Cambs Police
Murder victim Sam Mechelewski

Sam's family have also issued a statement paying tribute to him

The killing of our son at 20 years of age, when he had his whole life ahead of him is devastating. Please if you have any information no matter how insignificant you think it may be please contact the Police.

– Sam Mechelewski's family tribute

Advertisement

Man charged with murder in Clacton

A man has been charged with the murder of a woman in Vista Road Clacton

Detectives investigating the murder of a woman in Clacton have charged a man with her murder.

He is 71 year old John Chapman from Vista Road in the town. He's accused of killing 81 year old Jean Chapman who lived at the same address.

He is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court later today,

Cambridgeshire man pleads guilty to murder

Matthew Sharpe who has admitted murder and attempted murder in Cambridgeshire

A 40 year old man from Cambridgeshire has admitted murdering another man in January.

Andrew Hasler from St Ives was stabbed to death and a woman from Huntingdon was seriously injured.

Murder victim Andrew Hasler

Officers were called to Mr Hasler's home on Houghton Road in St Ives in early January.

They found two people had been attacked with a knife. Mr Hasler died at the scene

Sharpe’s ex-girlfriend, 27 year old Charna Knights, from Huntingdon, suffered serious injuries.

The alarm had been raised by a neighbour after he heard a commotion going on inside.

He was confronted by Sharpe on top of Charna, as he repeatedly stabbed her.

The neighbour managed to pull Sharpe off Charna and kick the knife out of his hand before restraining him. However he managed to get away.

Sharpe was arrested shortly afterwards after he tried to escape from officers by jumping into the river.

Detective Inspector Lucy Thomson, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said:

Charna suffered multiple stab wounds and thankfully recovered however medics were unable to save Andrew.

I would like to pay tribute to the selfless bravery of Andrew’s next-door neighbour who put his own life at risk in order to help Charna, his actions that day ultimately saved her life.

– DI Lucy Thomson

Sharpe will be sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court on April the 7th

Second man charged over Milton Keynes murder

A second man has been charged with the murder of Suhaib Mohammed (pictured) Credit: Submitted

A second man has been charged with the murder of a teenager who was shot at a house in Milton Keynes.

Albert Prempeh, aged 35, of Milton Keynes, is accused of murder and possession of a firearm following the shooting in Osprey Close, on Tuesday 13 September in which Suhaib Mohammed, aged 19, was killed.

A woman aged 32, who was also arrested on Saturday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, has been released without charge.

Mohammed Noor, aged 33, was earlier charged with murder. He has been remanded in custody.

Advertisement

Police renew appeal in 25 year old murder case

Patrick Hurling

Police in Hertfordshire are renewing their appeal for information about a murder that happened 25 years ago.

Patrick Hurling was beaten and his house set on fire near Hertford in 1990.

A reward of £20,000 was offered by an anonymous group of businessmen for information on the case. However, despite three people being arrested in connection with the case, no-one has ever been charged.

"Whilst I appreciate Patrick was murdered 25 years ago, I am convinced someone somewhere will have some information they may not have shared with police previously which could be vital to solving the case. If you know anything, please contact us.We have been working closely with Patrick's children who understandably remain keen to discover what happened to their father and see justice for him. If you can offer anything to assist please do call."

– Detective Sergeant Dave Taylor from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire

"Our father was brutally killed and we are desperate for answers. We are fully supportive and appreciative of the efforts of police and would echo their appeal for information. If you know absolutely anything which could assist the investigation we would urge you to please make contact with officers."

– Patrick's family
Load more updates