A woman from Northampton has been sentenced in the United States for fraud today.
Paul Dunham, 59, and Sandra Dunham, 58, pleaded guilty in December last year after losing their High Court fight against extradition the previous April.
The couple admitted to conspiring to commit wire fraud in connection with a scheme in which they requested reimbursement from their employer for mortgage payments on time shares in Barbados, luxury bedding for their home, a dog sofa and other personal expenses, the US Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland said.
Mr Dunham also pleaded guilty to money laundering.
According to their pleas, the defendants worked for Pace Worldwide which was located at various times in Maryland and North Carolina, and had a subsidiary in the United Kingdom named Pace Europe Ltd.
Pace produced parts for the repair and reworking of electronics for the military and others.
Mr Dunham held a number of executive positions, including president and chief operating officer. Mrs Dunham was initially hired to work for the European subsidiary in the accounts department, and eventually became the director of sales and marketing for Pace Worldwide.
The Dunhams moved from the UK to Maryland then North Carolina, and were provided with corporate credit cards.
Between 2002 and 2009, they fraudulently charged personal expenses to their corporate credit cards and submitted vouchers to Pace for reimbursement that falsely described the expenditures as business expenses, the statement said.
As a result of the lengthy scheme, one million dollars in actual losses were incurred.
The couple were flown to the US from Heathrow Airport in May. They were taken to Northampton General Hospital after taking a drug overdose the night before they were due to hand themselves in to police and in turn to US marshals.
Senior District Judge Howard Riddle at Westminster Magistrates' Court concluded that they had deliberately taken an overdose to avoid or delay extradition.
Later the couple, from Northampton, were handed over to US marshals at Heathrow by officers from the Metropolitan Police's extradition unit.
Mrs Dunham and the US government agreed that if the court accepted the plea agreement, she would be sentenced to 60 days . Today the judge accepted that. That means with the time she's already served Mrs Dunham will serve another 18 days before heading back to the UK.
Mr Dunham faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison for the conspiracy and money laundering. He'll be sentenced at a later date.
A woman from Northampton is due to be jailed in the United States for fraud today.Read the full story ›
A building often described as Northampton's ugliest will finally be demolished in March.
Greyfriars bus station has loomed over the town for nearly 40 years but was replaced by the new £7m North Gate interchange last year.
An exclusion zone will be put in place around the site, before the building is brought down by a series of controlled explosions on March 15th.
The borough council said the demolished building would remain in its existing footprint and be cleared up quickly to allow businesses to re-open on the same day.
Detectives in Northampton say they have new leads in their investigation into the fatal stabbing of a dad of two young children on Friday afternoon.
35-year-old Jon Casey was killed in front of motorists at rush hour on one of the town's busiest roads.
It's now believed he'd been involved in an argument with two men.
Click below to watch a report from ITV News Anglia's Russell Hookey
A murder investigation has been launched after a man was stabbed to death in Northampton.Read the full story ›
A man has died after being wounded outside a restaurant in Northampton.
The incident happened close to Lazeez restaurant on Barrack Road at around 5.30pm.
The victim, a 35-year-old man, was taken to Northampton General Hospital where he died at around 6.25pm.
Det Insp Ali Reynolds, of Northamptonshire Police, said: “We are urgently appealing for witnesses and are especially keen to know of the victim's movements in the hours leading up to his death."
Anyone with information should call Northamptonshire Police on 101 or, alternatively, Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111
Northampton Borough Council have confirmed that a bar that had its licence suspended after a street brawl in December, has been allowed to reopen.
Both Faces Bar and NU Bar were closed temporarily following the fight which is thought to have involved over 50 people.
The Council and the Police are now satisfied that Faces can now reopen after much consultation.
“The safety of residents and visitors to our town is our top priority. As the Licencing Authority we have a duty to make sure that the pubs, clubs and other venues in Northampton are safe places to visit and are managed responsibly.
Faces is being allowed to reopen, and working with Northamptonshire Police, our Licencing Officers will continue to monitor the situation ready to take action if required to keep the public safe.”
As it was confirmed today that a patient in Northamptonshire had tested negative for Ebola, an infectious disease expert told ITV News Anglia the public should feel confident that our hospitals are prepared.
Dr Stuart Allen, head of life sciences at the University of Northampton, said health services needed to act quickly as soon as a case was suspected to ensure any potential infection was contained.
"The main aspect there is containment - keeping that person either isolated in the right conditions, making sure that the people that are actually working with them are the right people - but they will have all the equipment they need, all the protective equipment that they need, and all of the containment facilities within the hospitals to look after people."
Patient, a woman who had recently returned to the UK from abroad, arrived at Northampton General Hospital yesterday.
Watch Olivia Paterson's report below.
Public Health England say tests for the ebola virus on a female patient at Northampton General Hospital have come back 'negative'. She will continue to be monitored.
The £6million project to restore Delapre Abbey in Northampton has reached another milestone.
The roof has been repaired and work can now begin to bring the historic building back into public use.
The restoration is being paid for by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Northampton Borough Council.