Live updates

Date set for Greyfriars demolition in Northampton

Greyfriars bus station in Northampton. Credit: ITV News Anglia.

A building often described as Northampton's ugliest will finally be demolished in March.

Greyfriars bus station has loomed over the town for nearly 40 years but was replaced by the new £7m North Gate interchange last year.

An exclusion zone will be put in place around the site, before the building is brought down by a series of controlled explosions on March 15th.

The borough council said the demolished building would remain in its existing footprint and be cleared up quickly to allow businesses to re-open on the same day.

Northampton stabbing victim may have had "altercation" with two men

Detectives in Northampton say they have new leads in their investigation into the fatal stabbing of a dad of two young children on Friday afternoon.

35-year-old Jon Casey was killed in front of motorists at rush hour on one of the town's busiest roads.

It's now believed he'd been involved in an argument with two men.

Click below to watch a report from ITV News Anglia's Russell Hookey

Advertisement

Man dies after stabbing in Northampton

A man has died after being wounded outside a restaurant in Northampton.

The incident happened close to Lazeez restaurant on Barrack Road at around 5.30pm.

The victim, a 35-year-old man, was taken to Northampton General Hospital where he died at around 6.25pm.

Det Insp Ali Reynolds, of Northamptonshire Police, said: “We are urgently appealing for witnesses and are especially keen to know of the victim's movements in the hours leading up to his death."

Anyone with information should call Northamptonshire Police on 101 or, alternatively, Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111

Northampton bar allowed to reopen following street brawl

Faces Bar had its licence suspended after the fight. Credit: ITV News Anglia

Northampton Borough Council have confirmed that a bar that had its licence suspended after a street brawl in December, has been allowed to reopen.

Both Faces Bar and NU Bar were closed temporarily following the fight which is thought to have involved over 50 people.

The Council and the Police are now satisfied that Faces can now reopen after much consultation.

“The safety of residents and visitors to our town is our top priority. As the Licencing Authority we have a duty to make sure that the pubs, clubs and other venues in Northampton are safe places to visit and are managed responsibly.

Faces is being allowed to reopen, and working with Northamptonshire Police, our Licencing Officers will continue to monitor the situation ready to take action if required to keep the public safe.”

– Cllr David Mackintosh, Leader of Northampton Borough Council

Expert insists our hospitals are prepared for Ebola outbreak

As it was confirmed today that a patient in Northamptonshire had tested negative for Ebola, an infectious disease expert told ITV News Anglia the public should feel confident that our hospitals are prepared.

Dr Stuart Allen, head of life sciences at the University of Northampton, said health services needed to act quickly as soon as a case was suspected to ensure any potential infection was contained.

"The main aspect there is containment - keeping that person either isolated in the right conditions, making sure that the people that are actually working with them are the right people - but they will have all the equipment they need, all the protective equipment that they need, and all of the containment facilities within the hospitals to look after people."

– Dr Stuart Allen, University of Northampton.

Patient, a woman who had recently returned to the UK from abroad, arrived at Northampton General Hospital yesterday.

Watch Olivia Paterson's report below.

Advertisement

Ebola considered 'unlikely' for woman being treated in Northampton

A woman is being treated for suspected Ebola in Northampton Hospital. Credit: Ian Nicholson/PA Archive

A woman is being treated for suspected Ebola in Northampton General Hospital but health authorities consider it 'unlikely' that tests will prove positive for the disease.

"Tests have now shown that the patient is malaria negative. Ebola is considered unlikely but testing is being done as a precaution, as is usual practice in these circumstances.

"We are confident that all appropriate actions are being taken to protect the public's health and ensure there is no risk to patients or staff."

– Northampton Hospital

A Public Health England statement said: "PHE can confirm it is due to receive a sample for Ebola testing, involving an individual at Northampton General Hospital with a history of travel to west Africa.

"Ebola is considered unlikely but testing is being done as a precaution, as is our usual practice in these circumstances."

The latest figures from Public Health England show that 145 Ebola-related tests have been carried out in the UK up until 5 January 2015 but only one has proved positive.

Load more updates