Live updates

Do you recognise this man?

Do you recognise this man?

Police have released CCTV images of a man they would like to speak to in connection with a knife-point robbery in a Peterborough shop.

At about 10.30am on Tuesday, May 31, a man entered the store in Lincoln Road, Millfield, and bought a drink.

He returned a short while later, holding a knife and made demands for money. The victim, a woman who was working in the shop, grabbed the phone and called police, with the offender leaving empty handed.

Detective Constable Liam Sweeney, from the Peterborough Robbery Squad, said: "This was a really frightening ordeal for the victim, thankfully she was not hurt and managed to call us straight away.

"I would urge anyone who recognises the man in the CCTV images to contact us."

Police confirm one person dead in A1 Peterborough crash

Credit: PA Images

Cambridgeshire Police have confirmed one person has died in a serious crash on the A1 in Peterborough.

Emergency services arrived to the single vehicle collision just before 09:00pm this evening.

The road's currently closed northbound between Oundle Road and the A47 Showground turn off.

Police say the road is likely to be shut for several hours. Diversions are in place.

Advertisement

Two men to appear in court over fox hunt investigation

The hunt travels through the village of Elton, near Peterborough. Credit: ITV News Anglia.

Two men have been summoned to appear in court following claims a fox was killed during a hunt on New Year's Day.

The 44-year-old and a 64-year-old, who have not been named, are accused of hunting a wild animal with dogs.

It is alleged to have taken place during the Fitzwilliam Hunt - which is one of Britain's oldest having been formed during the reign of Richard II.

The hunt takes place over 600 square miles of land between Stamford, Lincs., and Higham Ferrers, Cambs. It is claimed the fox was killed when the meet reached the village of Elton, near Peterborough.

The 44-year-old man is also charged with causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Both men, from Peterborough, Cambs., will appear at Peterborough Magistrates' Court on July 27.

Do you recognise these two men?

Do you recognise these men? Credit: Cambridgeshire Police.

Police would like to speak to these men in connection with a robbery in Peterborough.

They were captured on CCTV around the time that four men had demanded a driver sitting in his car at Wheatdole, Orton Goldhay, hand over money to them and assaulted him.

The victim had been using his mobile phone at about 3pm on May 13 when the men approached and opened the door. He got out of the silver Honda Civic and was assaulted again before the robbers drove off in his car.

Cambridgeshire Police said the attack was unprovoked and would like to speak to anyone who recognises these two men.

Services on East Midlands trains cancelled following fire on train

Train services between Peterborough and Grantham have been cancelled following a fire on a train in Peterborough.

Lines are currently closed and cancellations are expected until this evening.

Rail replacement buses are being sourced for people travelling to Peterborough, Grantham and North Gate stations.

Advertisement

Peterborough MP 'astonished' killer's compensation bid made it to court

Peterborough MP Stewart Jackson says he can't believe triple murderer Joanna Dennehy was able to make a claim for damages after she said her human rights had been violated.

Dennehy said she'd been "unfairly" treated and had been left "tearful and upset" after being placed in solitary confinement.

In the end, her appeal was thrown out in the High Court in a matter of minutes but Jackson believes the hearing was a waste of time and money.

The fact is, she's incarcerated in that way because she's one of the most dangerous female prisoners in the whole of the country.

I'm astonished, and people will be angry, that public money has been spent on a case that should never have got this far.

– Stewart Jackson, Peterborough MP

Murderer Dennehy plotted to 'kill prison guard and use her finger prints'

Joanna Dennehy was jailed for life in 2014. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

A Justice Department barrister has told the High Court how Peterborough serial killer Joanna Dennehy planned to kill a female prison guard and use her finger prints to escape.

Dennehy had hoped to claim damages after she was placed in solitary confinement following the discovery of a 'credible' escape plot.

She claimed she'd been "unfairly" treated and had been left "tearful and upset."

That appeal was swiftly rejected at the High Court this morning as details of her apparent plan were revealed.

Dennehy was segregated because a credible escape plan involving her and two other prisoners had been uncovered.

A written plan was located in her cell with detailed plans involving killing a female officer to obtain her keys and to utilise her finger prints in order to deceive the biometric systems.

She was placed on the escape list, which involved the wearing of an escape suit.

– Tom Weisselberg QC, Justice Department barrister

The 33-year-old was given a whole-life term in 2014 at the Old Bailey for murdering three men in and around Peterborough.

She is only the third woman to be given a whole-life prison term.

Moors murderer Myra Hindley and House of Horrors serial killer Rose West are the other two.

Serial killer Joanna Dennehy loses human rights violations claim

Joanna Dennehy. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

Peterborough serial killer Joanna Dennehy has lost her claim for human rights violations after she was placed in solitary confinement.

The 33-year-old was given a whole-life term last year at the Old Bailey for murdering three men in and around Peterborough.

She also stabbed two more.

She was put in segregation at HMP Bronzefield in Surrey after prison guards apparently found an escape plot in her diary.

Dennehy claimed she had been left "tearful" and "upset" as a result and had hoped the High Court would give her damages.

Fenland serial killer Dennehy's claim for compensation in High Court

Joanna Dennehy. Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

A judge will decide later if Fenland serial killer Joanna Dennehy can claim damages for having her human rights violated.

The 33-year-old was given a whole-life term last year for murdering three men in and around Peterborough.

She claims she should be compensated for being "unfairly and unlawfully" held in segregation in prison when she was awaiting trial, leaving her "tearful and upset".

Government lawyers admitted the two-year segregation period was technically unlawful because it was not properly authorised by former Justice Secretary Chris Grayling.

But they insist it was justified because of the escape risk she posed - after discovering a written "credible plan" in her cell to get her and two other prisoners out of jail.

Load more updates