Time called on winding of church clock

An 82-year-old volunteer who's been winding a church in Essex since 1966 has been told he has to stop because of health and safety fears.

Live updates

Grieving family warn of drugs danger

The family of the 19-year-old man who died following a drugs incident at Witham have urged others not to fall into the same trap. Bradley Cockel, from Braintree, is thought to have died after taking an LSD related drug called 2CE from a crudely-produced batch.

Bradley was a loving and beautiful son and brother.

He was an important part of our close family. Even at 19 years of age he wanted to be with and part of the family and worked hard in the family business. We enjoyed holidays together and he was a sensible young man who had the brightest of futures in front of him. Please let this serve as a lesson to anyone who thinks that it is safe to experiment with drugs because if anyone could see or feel the pain that our family is suffering, and will continue to suffer, then they would realise that it is a risk that is not worth taking.'

– Bradley Cockel's family

Police name drugs victim

Bradley Cockel
Bradley Cockel Credit: Essex Police

A man who died after a drugs incident in Witham in the early hours of Saturday April 27 has been named as Bradley Cockel, who lived in Braintree. Police believe he may have taken contaminated drugs. Bradley’s parents have paid tribute to him as a 'loving and beautiful son and brother'.

Advertisement

Police to carry out toxicology tests on teenager

Essex police badge
Reconstruction: the drug is a white powder Credit: PA

Essex police say a post mortem examination and toxicology tests will be carried out later today to establish how a teenager found dead in a flat in Witham died.It's thought he took a crudely-made version of the LSD related drug 2CE.

Detectives are warning there could be similar batches of the drug in circulation. It looks like a white crystal powder (similar to sugar) and has a hallucinogenic type of effect. It is believed to be known by the name 2CE. The drug can be taken orally or ingested nasally.

Teenager's death sparks warning over dangerous batch of drugs

Detectives have issued a warning following the death of a 19-year-old man after he apparently took badly-produced drugs at a flat in Witham in Essex.

Two other men were taken ill but later recovered after hospital treatment.

They're believed to have taken a drug from the LSD family known as 2CE.

Officers were called to Bramble Road, Witham at about 2.25am on Saturday April 27 by the ambulance service. A 19-year-old man from Braintree was found dead. Another man aged 18 from Braintree and a man aged 21 from Witham were taken to Broomfield Hospital.

We believe that one person has died and two others were taken ill because they have taken a drug that was poorly-produced by criminals who have no regard for the lives of their customers. Anyone with information about these drugs or anyone with any information about the death should contact us urgently.”

– Det Chief Insp Anne Cameron, Essex Police

Two 19-year-old men from Braintree and a 21-year-old man from Witham have been arrested in connection with the investigation.

Memorial for murdered vicar

The Reverand John Suddards was much loved by his congregation at Witham in Essex where he served as vicar of St Nicholas Church for ten years.

Now a memorial fund to help homeless people, set up in his memory, has raised more than 4 thousand pounds. The Reverand John Suddards was found stabbed to death by a homeless man at his vicarage in the West Country last year.

He was murdered just eight months after he moved from his parish in Witham. Watch Serena Sandhu's report.

Advertisement

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories