An inquest into a patient who fell to his death from a window at Southend Hospital has been hearing from health and safety experts. Robin Blowes, from Blackmore in Essex, died on 4th July 2010 after falling from a second floor window in the Edmund Stone ward following an operation.
Edward Crick from the Health and Safety Executive said there was not an adequate restrictor on the window, just a single hook. He added the hospital had been trying to minimise the risk of patients falling from windows since 2007 when a patient broke a leg falling from a window in another ward.
The inquest into Mr Blowes' death is expected to last several days.
More top news
A few wintry showers are possible during the evening, but most places clear with frost developing.
Firefighters say two people had a lucky escape after a blaze in their flat caused by a faulty fridge freezer.
An on-the-run paedophile has been arrested after handing himself into police in Suffolk.