Company fined £40,000 for safety breaches

An Ipswich motor repair company has been fined £40,000 by magistrates after a workshop assistant suffered serious injuries while trying to remove the end of a disused oil drum using oxyacetylene cutting equipment.

Findlay Gavin was badly hurt in the accident in November 2011 at CVS (Anglia) Ltd of Holywells Road. The oil drum exploded almost instantaneously when the oxyacetylene torch was applied to it and the bottom end of the drum blew off completely.

The rest of the drum shot up high in the air. Mr Gavin was knocked flat and sustained head injuries. He was taken to hospital by air ambulance where he remained unconscious for five days.