Homes evacuated after gas main fire

Forty residents had to be evacuated from their homes after sparking power cables set fire to a leaking gas main in Bedfordshire.

Crews were called to Leighton Buzzard at 7.20 a.m after workmen reported the fire on Stanbridge Road.

Bedfordshire fire service said the men were working on low voltage cables in the road when the main caught alight.

Police closed the road and 24 homes were evacuated. The blaze was under control two hours later.

The fire service said Stanbridge Road remains closed and local homes will be temporarily without power while workers replace electricity cables and the gas main.

Advertisement

Today's top stories