Northamptonshire County Council says its working with district and borough councils to clear main footways of snow and ice as air temperatures tonight are set to plunge to as low as minus 7C.Winter maintenance crews treated the main roads at midnight, again from 3.30am and then again from 1pm.
The county council says roadside grit bins continue to be filled as required.
They say drivers are being reminded to take care driving in snowy and icy conditions and allow more time for their journey.
This is the current travel advice
- Drive at a slow speed in as high a gear as possible; accelerate and brake very gently
- Drive particularly slowly on bends where loss of control is more likely. Brake progressively on the straight before you reach a bend. Having slowed down, steer smoothly round the bend, avoiding sudden actions.
- Check your grip on the road surface when there is snow or ice by choosing a safe place to brake gently. If the steering feels unresponsive this may indicate ice and your vehicle losing its grip on the road. When travelling on ice, tyres make virtually no noise.
- Drive with care, even if the roads have been treated.
- Keep well back from the road user in front as stopping distances can be ten times greater than on dry roads.
- Pedestrians are also encouraged to wear appropriate footwear to minimise the risk of slips and falls.