Advertisement

Women trapped in Essex flat fire 'woken by cats'

Three women who were asleep when a fire started in their flat in Essex say they were warned of the danger by their cats.

The women had become trapped by the fire in their flat in Pennymead, Harlow, and had to be rescued by firefighters.

Harlow Station Officer Steve Pritchard said: "The fire was by the front door of the flat which was the only way out, so the three women inside did exactly the right thing, they stayed in a bedroom with the door closed to keep smoke to a minimum."

Though there was a smoke alarm in the flat, the women told firefighters they didn't recall it sounding, but said they were woken by their cats.