An 18 month trial to ban traffic from an Essex High Street has been ditched temporarily following a demonstration by a protest group.
Members of the Save Colchester Town group said the move to ban traffic from the town's High street would destroy businesses and make it difficult for disabled people to access shops, now the group seem to have halted the scheme. Serena Sandhu reports.
Colchester MP Sir Bob Russell said: “This shambles is down to Essex County Council – who are the highways authority.
“It reinforces my long-held view that the sooner Colchester breaks away from the control of County Hall at Chelmsford the better it will be for the town and people of Colchester.
“I have previously expressed my opposition to the town centre traffic proposals. Conservatives at County Hall ignored what I said.
More top news
It will stay cold this afternoon with an increased risk of sleet and snow showers, especially in the north and west.
The Met Office has issued at yellow "be aware" warning for snow and ice in the Anglia region for Thursday evening into Friday.
Police have discovered a cannabis factory in a mansion at March in Cambridegshire