A £63 million centre devoted to cutting edge science and developing partnerships with industry is to be built by the University of Cambridge.
Funding for the centre was announced by Chancellor George Osborne during a ceremony to mark the topping out ceremony of the Francis Crick Institute in London.
The centre at the Cavendish Laboratory on the West Cambridge site dedicated to world-class research in the physical sciences, and how it translates to industry.
Funding for the project came from private donations and industry while the Higher Education Funding Council for England is providing £21m.
Construction work will begin shortly on the Maxwell Centre, provisionally named for the great physicist James Clerk Maxwell, who was appointed the first Professor of Experimental Physics at Cambridge in 1871. The building is due to open its doors in the summer of 2015.