Hertfordshire residents urged to stay safe in BBQ season

With summer upon us and barbecues at the ready, we're being urged to think about fire safety.

Hertfordshire County Council has issued the warning after a fire at The Household Waste Recycling Centre in Letchworth. It had to close for several hours on 28th May after a fire in one of the bins caused by the remains of a disposable barbecue.

“This is not the first time that we have had to close a site for this reason and the fires could have been more serious."

– Terry Douris, Cabinet Member for Waste Management, Hertfordshire County Council

Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service offers the following advice:

  • If you are using a disposable barbecue, ensure it has cooled before putting it in the bin.

  • If you are using a charcoal barbecue, never put hot ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin.

“Fires caused by disposal of barbecues are easily avoidable, but they have the potential to tie up our firefighters for some considerable time which could mean an engine is unavailable for other emergencies.”

– Richard Thake, Cabinet Member for Community Safety, Hertfordshire County Council

Advertisement

Today's top stories