Warning over use of BBQ's

A man suffered burns to his right arm after he attempted to light a barbeque using a can of petrol in Rayleigh in Essex.

The 42 year old was treated by paramedics who were called to the scene.Firefighters say the incident serves as a warning to people to take care if they're having a barbeque.

We all enjoy a barbeque but by taking a few simple precautions you can make sure that everyone barbeques safely. This incident show how dangerous it can be to use accelerants to light a barbeque. No one should ever use petrol or paraffin, only use approved barbeque lighters.

– Divisional Officer Stuart McMillan

Key things the fire service is warning people to remember:

  • Make sure your barbecue is placed on level ground where it will not tip over
  • Keep barbecues away from the house, sheds, fences, garden furniture and overhanging trees or shrubs.
  • Only use approved barbecue fuel or fire lighters. Never use petrol or paraffin.
  • Never leave the barbecue unattended
  • Watch out when you are cooking fatty foods. Lots of fat spilling onto the coals might make them flare up.
  • When you've finished cooking, make sure the barbecue is cool before you move it.
  • Empty the spent ash onto bare garden soil - never put it in the dustbin.

Advertisement

Today's top stories