Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service heatwave safety tips:
1) Never throw the ends out of car windows. After smoking, make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished and thrown away safely.
2) Try to avoid lighting open fires outside wherever possible.
3) Only barbecue in areas where they are allowed.
4) Always take your rubbish with you – especially glass bottles, as these can magnify the sun’s rays and start fires and hurt people and animals.
5) If you must have an open fire, clear dry vegetation and leaves away and build a stack around the flame that will collapse inwards while burning.
6) Never leave a fire unattended and make sure they are always fully extinguished after use.
More top news
A 12-year-old carer from Colchester has won a national award for looking after her mum.
England captain Dylan Hartley says he's proud of debutant Teimana Harrison's progression to the international stage.
The Bank Holiday Weekend starts fine with some sunshine on Saturday and Sunday. Monday looks more unsettled as rain moves in from the east.