Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service heatwave safety tips:
1) Never throw the ends out of car windows. After smoking, make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished and thrown away safely.
2) Try to avoid lighting open fires outside wherever possible.
3) Only barbecue in areas where they are allowed.
4) Always take your rubbish with you – especially glass bottles, as these can magnify the sun’s rays and start fires and hurt people and animals.
5) If you must have an open fire, clear dry vegetation and leaves away and build a stack around the flame that will collapse inwards while burning.
6) Never leave a fire unattended and make sure they are always fully extinguished after use.
More top news
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy says that the deal that took Tyrone Mings to AFC Bournemouth was "remarkable" business for the club.
In the latest in our series looking at the region's piers we're finding out more about the restored Southwold Pier.
Norfolk woman celebrates her 80th birthday forty years after being told she has terminal cancer