Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service heatwave safety tips:
1) Never throw the ends out of car windows. After smoking, make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished and thrown away safely.
2) Try to avoid lighting open fires outside wherever possible.
3) Only barbecue in areas where they are allowed.
4) Always take your rubbish with you – especially glass bottles, as these can magnify the sun’s rays and start fires and hurt people and animals.
5) If you must have an open fire, clear dry vegetation and leaves away and build a stack around the flame that will collapse inwards while burning.
6) Never leave a fire unattended and make sure they are always fully extinguished after use.
More top news
The McLaren was left in bits just minutes after the owner took delivery of it.
A three-storey house has collapsed and businesses have been destroyed following a major fire on a historic high street near Milton Keynes.
Children in a Suffolk school have been mourning the loss of a teenager who was killed by an airgun over the weekend.