Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service heatwave safety tips:
1) Never throw the ends out of car windows. After smoking, make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished and thrown away safely.
2) Try to avoid lighting open fires outside wherever possible.
3) Only barbecue in areas where they are allowed.
4) Always take your rubbish with you – especially glass bottles, as these can magnify the sun’s rays and start fires and hurt people and animals.
5) If you must have an open fire, clear dry vegetation and leaves away and build a stack around the flame that will collapse inwards while burning.
6) Never leave a fire unattended and make sure they are always fully extinguished after use.
More top news
After a mild day yesterday, today will feel noticeably colder as temperatures return to average for mid-December. But it will also be sunny.
A rare letter written in the trenches about the 'Christmas day Truce' in 1914 has been found and is to be auctioned off next year.
Emergency services prepare for 'Black Friday' - expected to be the busiest night of the year in pubs and clubs.