Inquest hears electrician set his home alight

The scene of the fire at Stanton. Credit: ITV News Anglia

An inquest has heard how a retired electrician died after locking himself inside his Suffolk home and setting it alight.

81 year old Donald Andrews had been involved in a dispute about electrical work carried out at the mobile home park where he lived at Stanton, near Bury St Edmunds.

The inquest heard that when firefighters broke into the property in June they found a trail of petrol soaked paper and a butane gas bottle in his lounge.

Firefighters at the scene back in June. Credit: ITV News Anglia

Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean said Mr Andrews, had been concerned about electrical work that has been done at his home. Recording a narrative verdict, the Coroner said he was not able to conclude beyond doubt that it had been Mr Andrew's intention to take his own life.

Advertisement

Today's top stories