Emergency services are on stand-by in the centre of Cambridge after an abandoned rucksack sparked a bomb scare.
The Lion Yard and Grand Arcade shopping centres are believed to have been evacuated and police cordons are in place on nearby streets.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire Service, which has one crew on the scene, said a bomb squad had arrived within the last half an hour.
She said they had been called in following reports of a rucksack which had been abandoned at the Grand Arcade.
East of England Ambulance Service spokesman Gary Sanderson confirmed it had received a call at 2.13pm to a report of a suspect package.
He added: "The trust's hazardous area response team (HART) are at the scene liaising with their emergency service colleagues as a precautionary measure."
More top news
ITV Anglia profiles the election campaigns of the five main parties
Spring arrives in earnest this weekend with a sunny 14-16ºC expected on Saturday.
A campaign has begun in Suffolk to help a terminally-ill man and his wife renovate their home.