StepChange Debt Charity has released new figures showing that nearly nine thousand people in the East of England contacted them over debt problems in 2013 - an increase of two and a half thousand on the previous year.
The Charity is urging to people to recognise that they may have a debt problem if they are doing any of the following:
- juggling or falling behind on essential household bills
- borrowing to make it through to pay day
- making just the minimum repayments on your debts
- borrowing more to pay off existing debts
- getting hit by late payments or overdraft charges
Anyone struggling with debt can click on the links below to connect to organisations which offer free, confidential help and advice:
More top news
The suicide of an inmate at HM Chelmsford Prison was both "predictable and preventable", a jury has heard.
It is half a century since the dismembered body of a 17-year-old boy was found dumped in two suitcases on farmland in Suffolk.
A 'clean air zone' and emissions charging could be set-up in Cambridge in an attempt to tackle air pollution.