Police in Ipswich are warning older people to be particularly vigilant when it comes to scams after a woman in her 90s was targeted by fraudsters.
The victim almost lost £7,000 of savings when she got a call from someone pretending to be from her bank.
Residents should remember the following:
- Your bank or the police will never ask you to withdraw money or purchase items.
- Your bank or the police will never ask for your PIN, bank card or bank account details over the phone – never give these details out.
- If you receive such a call leave the landline for at least five minutes to make an outside call.
- Fraudsters will keep the line open and have been known to play ring tones, hold music and a recorded message down the phone so the victim believes they are making a call to a legitimate number.
- Use a friend or neighbour’s telephone instead.