Live updates

Advertisement

Man jailed for sexually grooming and abducting child

Ricky McGovern pleaded guilty to eight charges Credit: Suffolk police

A 32-year-old man from Essex has been jailed for a number of sexual offences against a child and abduction.

Ricky McGovern was arrested in Brightlingsea in connection with offences against a teenage girl from Suffolk.

He and the victim were located following a three-day police operation investigating the abduction.

McGovern had made contact with the victim via a messaging app, before arranging to meet near her home, when he then drove her back to Essex.

He was handed a 14-year sentence and will also be subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and Restraining Order for an unlimited period.

Ricky McGovern is a predator who had been issued a previous sexual offences prevention order prohibiting him from contacting any female under the age of 16.

Despite this he actively sought out the victim online and groomed her, ultimately leading to her abduction and sexual exploitation. I cannot begin to imagine the fear and worry the victim’s family went through and I am pleased we were able to successfully locate her and reunite her with them.

– Detective Constable Reuben Brame, of Suffolk Police’s Protecting Vulnerable People Directorate

Increased patrols in Norwich to tackle anti-social behaviour

Police will be carrying out extra patrols in Norwich city centre Credit: ITV News Anglia

Police patrols are being stepped up in Norwich City Centre this weekend following concerns from the public about anti-social behaviour.

The force says there's been a rise in incidents involving aggressive begging and street drinking in the last month.

A dispersal order has been put in place in Norwich to help officers tackle the problem.

Police will be out on the streets until Sunday evening.

Complaints have increased about aggressive street begging and street drinking since the warmer weather has arrived. We’ve had several reports of groups gathering in the city centre, drinking and being aggressive towards members of the public.

This dispersal authority will run from Saturday morning through to Sunday evening and allows officers to issue direction to leave notices immediately without getting authority from a supervising officer.

This means we can deal with incidents promptly and effectively and anyone refusing to leave, or anyone who breaches the order, will be arrested.

– Sgt Mark Shepherd, Norwich East Safer Neighbourhood Team

Advertisement

Family pay tribute to man killed in motorbike crash

Jack Samuel Rogers, aged 25 and known as ‘Jacko’, sadly died at the scene. Credit: Norfolk Police

The family of a man killed in a motorbike crash on the A146 in Norfolk have paid tribute to him.

25-year-old Jack Samuel Rogers died following a collision with a car at Chedgrave on 6 July.

His mother said: "My family and I never imagined this day would come."

"As a family we would like to express our thanks for all the support given to us in our time of heartbreak."

"Jack was an amazing soul who we can’t imagine being without. We will celebrate his life forever.”

Elderly woman robbed at home for just 50p

Alfia Barnett, 84, had just arrived home when she was robbed Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

Police are appealing for witnesses after an 84-year-old woman was robbed in Peterborough.

Alfia Barnett had just arrived home at around 11.45am yesterday (July 13) and was at her front door in Highbury Street when a man forced his way past her, pushing her out of the way.

He grabbed her handbag and stole 50p, before leaving on a bicycle.

Alfia was shocked and shaken and suffered minor injuries.

The man is described as white, 6’1’’, aged in his 20s or 30s, with facial hair and wearing a dark hoody.

This was a cowardly attack in which the robber targeted a vulnerable lady, using force to gain entry into her home.

We believe the robber may have followed Alfia, who had a handbag and shopping cart with her, from the bus stop at the junction of Taveners Road and Lincoln Road, so I would urge anyone who was in that area to consider whether they saw anything.

– Detective Sergeant Tom Rowe

Two men charged with terrorism offences

Both men charged are from east London Credit: PA

Two men have been charged with terror offences almost a fortnight after they were arrested in Essex.

Mohammed Kamal Hussain, 28, has been charged with supporting a proscribed organisation, two counts of encouragement of terrorism and preparation of terrorism.

Mohammed Ashfaqur Hemel, 31, is charged with encouragement of terrorism.

Both men are due to appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday.

They were arrested in Essex on Friday June 30, along with a third man who has been released without charge.

The Metropolitan Police said the charges are not linked to any of the recent attacks in London or Manchester.

Load more updates