Live updates

M6 re-opens after four-vehicle collision

The accident. Credit: ITV Border

The M6 between J36 and J37 has re-opened following a major collision earlier today.

All lanes are now open on both the north and southbound sides.

Police were called at 1:17pm (November 27) following a four-vehicle collision.

Two of the drivers suffered serious injuries and have been taken to hospital.

Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to contact them.



Drivers diverted through Kendal after M6 accident

Drivers are being diverted through Kendal. Credit: PA

Traffic is being re-directed through Kendal following a three-vehicle accident on the M6 northbound, between J36 and J37.

Police say two people have been seriously injured in the collision.

The northbound carriageway, which is set to re-open within the next 15 minutes, has been closed between the junctions, and drivers are being diverted from J36 through Kendal on the A6, to re-join the motorway again at J39.

Traffic is currently also delayed on the southbound carriageway as emergency services attend the incident.

The air ambulance was called, but police have not yet released further details.

The accident. Credit: ITV Border

Windermere improvement works to begin next year

Windermere. Credit: ITV Border

Work on a £300,000 scheme to improve the waterfront at Windermere is expected to begin early next year.

Councillors have approved a contract to carry out the improvements.

The plan is to widen the promenade at Waterhead, on the lake's northern shore, as well as resurfacing walkways, repairing walls and installing a ‘panorama’ board, to identify key Lakeland landmarks that can be seen from the shore.

The aim is for the work to be finished by Easter 2016, to minimise disruption to the tourism industry at one of its busiest times.

We are investing £280,000 and Lakes Parish Council is putting in at least £20,000 to make this a reality.

These plans have been shaped following steering group meetings and in partnership with key stakeholders, including the parish council, civic society, Cumbria Tourism, Lake District National Park, the two local district councillors and all the respondents to the consultation.

It is an excellent example of true partnership working and has resulted in a scheme that greatly improve a popular and much-loved Lake District location.’’

– Councillor Giles Archibald
Load more updates Back to top