One of Penrith's most prominent historic buildings has gone up for sale.The council currently own the house and offers in excess of £1.1m are being invited for the free hold interest in the entire property.
Eden District Council’s Leader, Gordon Nicolson said:
– Eden District Council’s Leader, Gordon Nicolson
“The proceeds from the lease or sale of Mansion House will help to finance the Council one site project which is currently being developed. The one public service site project and new car parking provision is an exciting opportunity for Penrith town centre. The availability for lease or sale of a property of this character and distinction will attract a lot of interest. However, it will be for full Council in July to determine how any offers received for Mansion House proceed in the future.”
He added that selling the property is part of the council's transformation plan:
Mansion House is one of Penrith’s finest and most recognisable buildings, it was originally constructed in 1750 by John Whelpdale. It was purchased by Penrith Rural District Council in 1919 the property was later inherited by Eden District Council following local government reorganisation. Over the past 40 years the Council has sympathetically restored the buildings which remain well maintained to a high standard in accordance with its existing use.
The property includes existing car parking for 88 vehicles split between the front and rear of the site. The car park is used for staff parking during the week and currently operates as a pay-and-display car park on weekends.
Walton Goodland, the commercial property consultants retained by Eden District Council, is seeking offers in excess of £1.1m for the freehold interest. The Council is prepared to consider splitting the site and will also consider rental offers for part or the whole. Lease terms are not being quoted and all enquiries should be directed to Walton Goodland.