Residents may not be home until after Christmas

Work is ongoing at the collapsed mine shaft in Egremont Photo: ITV Border

People living in the nine homes evacuated last week following the collapse of a mineshaft in Egremont have been told they may not be back in their homes for Christmas.The homeowners have each been given a thirty minute slot this afternoon, November 20, to remove valuables, documents, clothes and Christmas presents.

Residents have been told to get their things out of the houses Credit: ITV Border

Last Wednesday a 25 metre hole opened up behind the properties on Howbank Road when contractors for Copeland Borough Council, who own the land, were attempting to pump concrete into the mineshaft in a bid to cap it. As the hole opened the drilling rig pouring in the concrete collapsed into it.Subsidence had been reported to the council who had been monitoring the area for six months.The council are working with contractors to make the area safe and stabilise the properties, the work may not be completed before Christmas.