A number of people from across the region have been recognised in the New Years Honours list.
The annual list highlights the special work and duties carried out by people from all over country.
Below are some of them:
Queens Police Medal
- Chief Constable George Graham, Northern Constabulary, former Chief Constable of Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary, for services to policing.
While serving with Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary, George helped raise the profile of the regional Domestic Abuse Strategy Group, reassuring victims and giving them the confidence to report issues. He has had regular dialogue with senior civil servants and Ministerial teams on domestic violence and child protection.
George's service as site commander at Kamp van Zeist in the Netherlands, where he was responsible for policing at the Lockerbie bombing trial, earned him a Chief Constable's Commendation.
He has played a lead role in the development of Counter-Terrorism Command and Control Protocols for all Scottish Forces, ensuring that protocols in Scotland are fit for purpose within a UK context. George has played an active part in the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS) Police Reform Strategy Group, helping to ensure that police reform is pragmatic and deliverable.
- Christopher Burnaby Starr, Chair, Forestry Regulation Task Force, for services to British Forestry and Forestry Education (Penrith and Cumbria)
- Moira Elizabeth Tattersall, Principal, Carlisle College, for services to Further Education (Carlisle, Cumbria)
- Jane Lees, former Headteacher, Hindley High School, Wigan, for services to Education (Kendal, Cumbria)
- Eileen Moir, former Executive Director of Nursing, Health Improvement Scotland, for services to Nursing and Healthcare (Selkirk, Roxburgh Ettrick and Lauderdale)
- Scott Brash, Equestrian, for services to Equestrianism. (Tweeddale, Scottish Borders)
- Jennifer Ann Farmer, for services to the Magistracy in the South Lakeland Local Justice Area and to the communities of Skelmesbergh, Selside and Longsleddale in Cumbria (Kendal, Cumbria)
- Julian Carradice, for services to the Wasdale Moutain Rescue Team Cumbria (Seascale, Cumbria)
- Justice of the Peace George Willacy, for services to the community in Annandale, Eskdale and Dumfries and Galloway