A report has revealed that a mother and daughter who died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning were sleeping on a boat fitted with an improvised exhaust system.
Kelly Webster and her 10-year-old daughter Lauren Thornton had been holidaying on Windermere last month when it happened.
The report, by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, also revealed that the boat's carbon monoxide detector was not connected to a power supply.
The main aim of the report is to highlight lessons learned from the tragedy, which took place on Bowness on Windermere over the Easter weekend.
Among the key findings are
- The Generator had been fitted with an improvised exhaust and silencer system which had become detached
- the generator’s exhaust fumes filled the engine bay and spread through gaps in an internal bulkhead into the cabin where the mother and daughter were asleep
- The boat’s carbon monoxide sensor system did not alarm because it was not connected to a power supply
Watch the full report here: